After update.. bye bye my sabayon (...again)[partial Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Re: After update.. bye bye my sabayon (...again)[partial Sol

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 21:07

Maybe, I have heard about rsnapshot. But I was introduced t o backup generations by using rsync. I was interested in the function of rsync itself and wanted to understand it. Then I've develeoped my own script. To save space on target disk, I do a:
Code: Select all
cp -al <pre-backup-generation> <new-backup-generation>

Then I backup with my skript (using rsync) to <new-backup-generation> directory. So, I do the same like rsnapshot with explicitely excluded directories like /proc, /sys, /tmp, /run, /dev/*.
My advantage is to know more about copying hardlinks, using rsync command, and this combined in a skript which interact with my KDE desktop.
Anyway, I hope, your suggestion will inspire our forum members to think about backing up. So, I say thank you, Sabayonino.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby sabayonino » Wed Mar 19, 2014 23:48

linuxfluesterer wrote:My advantage is to know more about copying hardlinks, using rsync command

according with rsync manual :
I think (-H option) :
Code: Select all
-H, --hard-links            preserve hard links

rsnapshot run rsnync also (and other commands like cp,du etc ..)

see rsnapshot configuration file
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 15:59

In Germany we have a proverb:
There are many ways which lead to Rome

I have made my solution, using code and KDE desktop messages (xterm also). All this improves my personal knowledge about different linux commands and KDE tools like kdialog and popupmessage, which I use in my original script....

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Previous

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers