Converting from Entropy to Portage

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Converting from Entropy to Portage

Postby OmegaSW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03

So if I wanted to use Portage exclusively, what's the migration procedure?
Sabayon KDE 64Bit Edition
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User
OmegaSW
Simple Hen

Re: Converting from Entropy to Portage

Postby svantoviit » Sat Mar 15, 2014 18:43

Start form scratch with Gentoo?
The migration will be painful.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby OmegaSW » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58

So if I'm not really suppose to be mixing Entropy and Portage, and there's no official way to convert to purely Portage, then why do we have it?

Also, I would also keep the Sabayon Overlay since I really do like the customizations and settings that the distro has.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User
OmegaSW
Simple Hen

Postby imaginasys » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:04

I see some reason to use portage :

Sometimes a package from the gentoo repository is missing from entropy and you need it.
    Sometime a package from entropy is not compiled with the use flags you need.

And always check dependencies before emerging a package and try to add theses with entropy before you add the package.

This way your will only compile what you need. And you will have to exclude your package from entropy to keep the portage version from being overwritten by entropy (/etc/entropy/packages/package.mask.d/...).

but its a lot simpler to stick to entropy and KISS.

regards,
Bernard :mrgreen:
imaginasys
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:19

The migration procedure would be to remove entropy/equo/rigo/magneto, set your make flags how you wish for them to be in make.conf and then, well, start recompiling your world (or simply start using portage exclusively if you see no need for that). You can keep the Sabayon overlay or get rid of it if you want to be pure gentoo.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Tue Mar 18, 2014 20:00

In my oppinion, is much easier to "mix" Entropy with Portage, but not removing Entropy. Sufficient edit the client.conf file and then, no more use Entropy.

Entropy in Sabayon have many dependencies, and the "migration" to Portage as "only one" package installer is painfull and dangerous to system.

If you really want to remove Entropy, send a message to Wolfden. I have in Mind that He knows how to.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby OmegaSW » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:24

svantoviit wrote:Start form scratch with Gentoo?
The migration will be painful.

I ended up installing Gentoo from scratch. I was up for the challenge, and I strugled, but I was able to finally pull it off.

My biggest reason for wanting to use Portage over Entropy is because I feel Entropy is incomplete without a way to clean out orphans when you uninstall a package.

Portage has the command emerge --depclean while Entropy's equo doesn't have an equivalent, so overtime Sabayon will eventually become bloated and messy.

I would love if there ever was a Sabayon Source Edition where Portage is the main package manager with an easy installer. Perhaps even a Portage version of Rigo where it compiles and installs packages from source (also an editable make.conf utility built in to specify your system and use flags).

Don't get me wrong, I consider Sabayon very top notch as a distro, and I'll probably end up using it again at some point in the future. Sabayon is the only rolling release distro to support both Secure Boot and UEFI OOTB, and when I end up buying a new rig, Sabayon will probably be my best Linux option.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User
OmegaSW
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 16:04

OmegaSW wrote:I would love if there ever was a Sabayon Source Edition where Portage is the main package manager with an easy installer.

That is how SL was before Entropy was invented. Basically SL was a pre-canned Gentoo with a GUI installer. If you can get hold of a copy of the ISO of an early release of SL (3.3 or something like that) and install it in a virtual machine, you'll see how it was. But a lot of SL users found Portage too difficult and slow, so lxnay had the idea of developing Entropy.

OmegaSW wrote:Perhaps even a Portage version of Rigo where it compiles and installs packages from source (also an editable make.conf utility built in to specify your system and use flags).

As you're using Gentoo, try Kuroo. I used to use it a lot in the early SL releases before Entropy existed, and used it a little sometimes in Gentoo, but find the command line easier for Portage. Kuroo is quite handy as a package browser, even if one uses the command line to perform the actual installation.

Code: Select all
# eix kuroo
* app-portage/kuroo4
     Available versions:  (4) (~)0.90.4
       {aqua debug}
     Homepage:            http://kuroo.sourceforge.net/
     Description:         Graphical Portage frontend based on KDE4/Qt4

Another GUI front-end to Portage is Porthole, although I have not tried that:

Code: Select all
# eix porthole
* app-portage/porthole
     Available versions:  0.6.1-r1 (~)0.6.1-r2 (~)0.6.1-r3 {nls LINGUAS="de fr it pl ru tr vi"}
     Homepage:            http://porthole.sourceforge.net
     Description:         A GTK+-based frontend to Portage
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Jun 06, 2014 17:00

Oh man, I remember using portato back in the day as a portage gui. I really liked it, but it hasn't been maintained for years now.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby OmegaSW » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:44

Rigo and Magneto is actually really nice, and it updates both your package and kernel, and it takes care of configuration files. If only Rigo and Magneto could be ported to use portage, I'd be pretty happy. I'd get full power of portage and laziness at the same time.

To substitute, I now use a cron job to check for updates, and I every so often run emerge -avuDN --with-bdeps=y @world, and etc-update, and eselect kernel list....

I did try both Kuroo and Porthole, and Porthole is definately the better of the two, but I don't trust Porthole entirely.

For example, when I upgrade my system
I use this command: emerge -avuDN --with-bdeps=y @world
Porthole uses this command: emerge --update --noreplace --oneshot world

Porthole also doesn't handle new kernel installs with a module rebuild and grub.conf update while Rigo does. That's the kind of polish that Sabayon has with Rigo in terms of convenience.

Calculate probably fills the void of what Sabayon use to be, but Sabayon does have that user friendly polish that Calculate simply doesn't have.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User
OmegaSW
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers