HDMI output... too big?! How to adjust Overscan?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

HDMI output... too big?! How to adjust Overscan?

Postby greendave8 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 21:27

Hi All,

I have a new monitor with HDMI input, so have tried to connect my NVIDIA 450 card with this connection. However, the image is too large for the screen and I am missing the top of the window, where the exit and enlarge button are. Also I have most of my task bar missing, as its too llarge.

So far I have been trying to usethe Nvidia Server settings software but with no success.

Any advice would be most appreciated

gd8
Geforce GT450 331.20 driver
Sabayon kde 4.11.4 kernel 3.12
greendave8
Growing Hen

Re: HDMI output... too big?! How to adjust Overscan?

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 18:09

Hallo Dave.
I've had this problem also some time ago. I could only fix it at my monitor (tv) which is a Samsung with 23 inch. After set in that monitor (sorry, I don't remember, were) all my screen output was displayed correctly.
One thing, I remember: When I've connected my notebook with that monitor via VGA cable, there was no problem at all. HDMI made the problems.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby greendave8 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 19:11

Mmmmm.... thought that may be the case.... However, in Windoze 7, the nVidia software allows easily to make the adjustments. Why not so easy in linux.....? I suspect its all about the edit in Xorg... but not being able to make a live adjustment makes it very hard to come up with the correct + parameters....

gd8
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59

I don't have your hardware, but I wonder if you could use the xrandr command to achieve what you want. You'll have to play around with it to see.

Code: Select all
$ xrandr

will tell you the device names and allowable resolutions.

$ xrandr --output <device> --mode <width>x<height>

will set the resolution. For example:

$ xrandr --output CRT1 --off
$ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1920x1080
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware