Can't unlock/auth at Gnome lock screen after recent update

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Can't unlock/auth at Gnome lock screen after recent update

Postby herdingofthecats » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02

Hi all,

After update in the last week or so, I can no longer get back into my gnome session if the screensaver/lock comes on (or if I choose lock from the menu). I type the password into the password entry box, and the spinner spins away, and times out back to blank screen.

/var/log/messages shows this

Nov 24 22:07:37 ultrabook gdm-password][10072]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): conversation failed
Nov 24 22:07:37 ultrabook gdm-password][10072]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): auth could not identify password for [nathan]
Nov 24 22:07:37 ultrabook gdm-password][10072]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
Nov 24 22:07:37 ultrabook gdm-password][10072]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user

I can still switch back to console with Ctrl-Alt-F2 (seems now Ctrl-Alt-F1 takes you to X instead of first console now though?), and (I think)can log in as new user through GDM, but cannot access my original session again.

I have found solutions for the same report/logs for other distros through google, involving everything from libsrvg to shadow passwords to icons (curiosly none mentioning pam), but none directly relevant to Sabayon, and I couldn't find any mention of it on the forums. Any ideas would be much appreciated, and keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Nathan
herdingofthecats
Baby Hen

Re: Can't unlock/auth at Gnome lock screen after recent upda

Postby Stupot » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39

Have you rebooted or restarted xorg since the last update?

Sometimes, after upgrading a DE, you can get into a weird state where some old libraries are still loaded in memory and new libraries are being used as well, which can cause things to not work nicely.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby herdingofthecats » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56

Hey Stupot, thanks for the reply. Yeah, have restarted both a bunch of times, and even rebuilt xorg, drivers, modules etc as it seems you have to do still after occaisional xorg-related upgrades (eg evdev if usb keyboard etc doesn't work on reboot after upgrade), but no result. System is straight entropy also, no portage playing about, and a fairly recent install. Also, it seems that when I log in as a new user (I have one to run a seperate dropbox account with the dropbox daemon), the new user can lock/unlock, only the initial "admin"-ish user that can't.

(I'm a long time Linux gentoo user (10+ years as primary desktop), Slackware since the 90s before that. Started using sabayon about a year or so ago, and has been mostly awesome. I'm still not as good at tracking down problems in Sabayon as I was in gentoo :) )
herdingofthecats
Baby Hen

Postby faris » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:36

When you install systemd (you can just reinstall it and see the messages yourself) it tells you if there's something else you may want to do.
Download high quality security+ dumps to prepare and with 642-998 Also get free demos of www.usna.edu for review of mcitp McDaniel College
faris
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers