KDE 4.12: Dolphin to Galaxy Note 3 doesn't write

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4.12: Dolphin to Galaxy Note 3 doesn't write

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 16:46

Hallo guys.
I'm using latest Sabayon 14.02, KDE 64bit, with Kernel 3.12.6 (Kernel 3.12.7 sucks my notebook power!).
I have also a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which I can connect via USB3 plugs on both, the phone and my notebook.
Then a small window opens to show me, a device was connected (here my Note 3). When I click then on 'Open with Dolphin', I receive the content of this Note 3 in a Dolphin window. I can change directories here and I can copy from Note 3 to my computer (e.g. photos). But when I want to copy a file with drag and drop in Dolphin (I've tried a small movie), then the process seems to start, but stops suddenly and nothing was written on my Note 3. This is reproducable with other files. I'm rather sure, my Note 3 is recognised as 'mtp' device, because it has Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) on it.

I always get a long message on that Note 3, that 'No Kies software could be found on my computer'. I think, Android is a Linux derivate. So, why should I need a Windows Software (Kies) then? With my older Android phones, I could simply access the phone with a computer as a mass storage. And I've read in Google, if I have Android 4.3 and a USB3 plug on my phone, I should be able to copy files to that Note 3 also. What is wrong here? I have installed the 'mtp-tools'.

Any idea? Help is appreciated.
Another question: Is the internal storage of such a phone (I don't mean an external sd-card) limited to 4GByte max per file? I've read about this, but I won't expect internal storage file system of Android Linux is Fat32.

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: KDE 4.12: Dolphin to Galaxy Note 3 doesn't write

Postby Cb7 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 19:05

On my Note 1 internal storage is FAT32, so I suppose that haven't changed. What more, external storage is by default formatted by Android to FAT32 too, changing is problematic, and it is painful to use ext4 :( (I use ext4 on external SD card)

For system partitions ext4 is used.

I can't help with Dolphin issue though.

On side note I really like Sailfish approach, where for displaying Wayland is used, and as FS btrfs :)
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 21:44

Hallo Cb4.
Thank you for your reply and your experiences, you've told me.
Exactly, you confirmed, what I've feared, that internal storage of an Android phone is a Fat32 file system.
I assume, this was a mistake due to keep compatibility with Windows. But for the latest Android versions, I've read it would be ext2 or ext3 now. Anyway, I'm disappointed.
To Dolphin: I must wait then for another reply, for someone here, who has made some experience with my situation.

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23

linuxfluesterer, the internal storage in my Samsung Galaxy Note II running Android 4.3 uses the ext4 file system and the external SD card uses exFAT.

You can check what file systems are used on your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 quite easily, and you do not have to root the phone in order to do this:

1. Use Play Store to install the Android app. Android Terminal Emulator on your phone.

2. Launch Android Terminal Emulator.

3. Enter the pwd command to check you are in the root (/) directory. If not, use the command cd / to enter the root directory.

4. Enter the command mount. Android will then list the details for each mountpoint. For example, the result on my Galaxy Note II is as follows:

Code: Select all
[email protected]:/ $ mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
/sys/kernel/debug /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/secure tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=700 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system ext4 ro,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /efs ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc,discard 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc,discard 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p16 /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc,discard 0 0
/data/media /mnt/shell/emulated sdcardfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
/data/container /mnt/shell/container sdcardfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:17 /storage/extSdCard exfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /storage/extSdCard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,seclabel,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
/data/media /storage/emulated/0 sdcardfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
/data/media /storage/emulated/0/Android/obb sdcardfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
/data/media /storage/emulated/legacy sdcardfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
/data/media /storage/emulated/legacy/Android/obb sdcardfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
[email protected]:/ $

As you can see above, /system and /data are ext4, and my external SD card /storage/extSdCard is exfat.

I don't have access to my main laptop running KDE at the moment, so cannot check regarding Dolphin, but when I next use KDE I'll check. In the meantime, you could use e.g. AirDroid via WiFi to transfer the files.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:21

Thank you very much, Fitz.
I've installed both apps, 'Android Terminal Emulator' and also 'Airdroid'. Now I see on my phone also, there are mountpoints (partitions?) with ext4 file system. Great! Though in this terminal I can't really use my built in Samsung keyboard. How do I move up the cursor (to receive last line of my history? Is there a 'tab' key on phone keyboard?
So now to Airdroid. This app is (for me) only usable, when I use Tethering. In wireless mode, big files like movies are, take too long time to copy (about one minute per percent).
So, with Tethering, I need only 3 secs per percent (about 45 MByte). Second, the file I've copied was 4.53GByte and I could transfer it with webbrowser to my phone. There was no error.
As I've said, thank you for your advice, Fitz. Though I would still like to transfer files easily and without limits from (KDE) Dolphin, this Airdroid with Tethering is a good alternative.
Anyway, I let this thread open at this moment.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 16:22

linuxfluesterer wrote:Now I see on my phone also, there are mountpoints (partitions?) with ext4 file system.

:arrow: Mount point definition

linuxfluesterer wrote:Though in this terminal I can't really use my built in Samsung keyboard. How do I move up the cursor (to receive last line of my history? Is there a 'tab' key on phone keyboard?

Easy. Install the Android application Hacker's Keyboard from the Android Play Store. It's one of the first apps I install on an Android device, as it gives me a full keyboard including the cursor control keys and Tab key. They work in Android Terminal Emulator.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 18:15

OK, I have now had a chance to look at using my Galaxy Note II connected via the Samsung USB cable to my main laptop running Gentoo with KDE 4.12.0.

Without doing any configuration, I could copy a file from a Dolphin window of the phone to a Dolphin window of my home directory on the laptop. However, I could not copy a file from a Dolphin window of my laptop's home directory to a Dolphin window of my phone.

I then did the following to be able to copy both ways via Dolphin (my thanks to Gentoo user danomac in his post http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-71 ... l?#7135656 about the Nexus 7):

1. I installed sys-fs/mtpfs

# emerge mtpfs

For SL users that would of course be:

# equo install mtpfs

2. I found the vendor and product IDs of the phone by using the dmesg command. For my GT-N7100, idVendor=04e8 and idProduct=6860.

3. I created a udev rule /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules containing:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0666", OWNER="fitzcarraldo"

4. I unplugged the phone from my laptop.

5. I restarted udev:

# /etc/init.d/udev restart

If your installation uses the systemd init system, the command would be different. I don't use systemd, so you'll have to find out the relevant command yourself.

6. I reconnected my phone to the laptop via the USB cable.

7. I created a directory and made sure it is writeable:

# mkdir /media/GalaxyNoteII
# chmod a+rwx /media/GalaxyNoteII

8. I mounted the phone:

# mtpfs -o allow_other /media/GalaxyNoteII

9. I could then use Dolphin to copy files from the phone to the laptop, and vice versa. I could also use the command line in a terminal to access the phone.

10. After I finished copying, I unmounted the phone:

# umount /media/GalaxyNoteII

Of course, from now on all I need to do is follow Steps 8 to 10 when I want to copy files to the phone. I could create icons on my desktop to perform Steps 8 and 10, and I'll probably do that to make life easier.

Below, you can see exactly what I did in the Konsole window on my laptop:

[email protected] ~ $ su
Password:
meshedgedx fitzcarraldo # cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
meshedgedx rules.d # ls
10-usbprinter.rules  70-persistent-net.rules  80-net-name-slot.rules
meshedgedx rules.d # touch 51-android.rules
meshedgedx rules.d # nano 51-android.rules
meshedgedx rules.d # cat 51-android.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0666", OWNER="fitzcarraldo"
meshedgedx rules.d # /etc/init.d/udev restart
 * WARNING: you are stopping a sysinit service
 * Stopping udev ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Starting udev ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Generating a rule to create a /dev/root symlink ...                                                     [ ok ]
 * Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ...                                               [ ok ]
 * Waiting for uevents to be processed ...                                                                 [ ok ]
meshedgedx rules.d # mkdir /media/GalaxyNoteII
meshedgedx rules.d # chmod a+rwx /media/GalaxyNoteII/
meshedgedx rules.d # mtpfs -o allow_other /media/GalaxyNoteII/
Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung Galaxy models (MTP).
   Found 1 device(s):
   Samsung: Galaxy models (MTP) (04e8:6860) @ bus 2, dev 11
Attempting to connect device
Listing File Information on Device with name: GT-N7100
meshedgedx rules.d # ls /media/GalaxyNoteII/
Card  Phone  Playlists
meshedgedx rules.d # ls /media/GalaxyNoteII/Card/
Android                   DCIM      Music          Trials
Building.txt  Download  Building_drawings  Manual 28th Edition.pdf
Brazil                    LOST.DIR  Procedures      Pantanal
meshedgedx rules.d # cp /media/GalaxyNoteII/Card/Manual\ 28th\ Edition.pdf /home/fitzcarraldo/
meshedgedx rules.d # umount /media/GalaxyNoteII/
meshedgedx rules.d #
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 19:23

I've just been reading the MTP article in the Gentoo Wiki, and discovered that there is also a KDE KIO Slave for MTP, so you could install that (although there is a live ebuild in the sabayon overlay, there does not appear to be an Entropy package for it, so you'd have to file a request for it to be added to the Entropy repositories, or try to install it via Portage).

$ eix kio-mtp
* kde-misc/kio-mtp
     Available versions:  (4) (~)0.75_p20130912 [m](~)9999[1]
       {aqua debug}
     Homepage:            https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/kio-mtp
     Description:         MTP KIO-Client for KDE

[1] "sabayon" /var/lib/layman/sabayon

According to the Gentoo Wiki, after installing kde-misc/kio-mtp:

Finally quit KDE, and relaunch it. Now your MTP devices appear e.g. in Dolphin.

EDIT: I have just installed Version 0.75_p20130912 from the Portage main tree and can confirm it works. I can copy files either way in Dolphin windows. Nice. :)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware