Blackscreen due to dual gpu

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Blackscreen due to dual gpu

Postby Vatsal » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:29

Hello
I use this laptop http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/in/ ... on-15-3521 with AMD 7670m. i have a dual graphics (intel hd 4000+ amd 7670). when i make a bootable pendrive of sabayon and boot it i get the grub of sabayon when i choose to boot into live session i get a blackscreen endlessly. the only solution is to power off laptop long pressing power off button. if i do this and again try booting via pendrive and install it still i get a blackscreen after instaling. this issue is probably due to my dual gpu. i am trying to disable one of the gpu yet in vain because bios wont let me do it (there is no such option). i even called dell and inquired about it they say that is is not possible in new laptops. how do i install and get sabayon to work? :cry: i have tried nosetmode too but still blackscreen
P.S. I have faced this issue with all distros except ubuntu, mint, debian. is there any solution out there? i really want to install this distro. please help. Thanks a lot in advance
Vatsal
Baby Hen

Re: Blackscreen due to dual gpu

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 13:12

Vatsal wrote:i have tried nosetmode too

It's 'nomodeset', not 'nosetmode', so try the correct parameter if you have not done so already:

Code: Select all
nomodeset

As you have both an AMD and an Intel GPU, you could also try booting the LivePenDrive by trying the following kernel boot parameters, one by one, to see what happens:

xdriver=ati

xdriver=radeon

xdriver=intel

Another thing to try is given in the post: Re: Sabayon on dell inspiron 17, ATI/INTEL issue. There are a few other threads about dual ATI-Intel GPUs in these forums, so have a search in case there is anything useful.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware