(PC version) Steam unable to work?

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

(PC version) Steam unable to work?

Postby Mojotroll » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52

Hi.

Bit new here, here's my problem. I play a lot of games off steam that are on the pc version. After this last update on the 3rd of December, i am unable to even get past the login screen! I was wondering after talking with the mods of the steam pc version of wine and failing at their instructions :oops: ...... Is there going to be an update to the wine (currently wine 1.4? possible 1.7.8?) From what i understand, wine 1.7.8 is "supposed" to fix the issue but i was hoping for another fix other than the chmod temp fix.

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks.

Mojotroll

P.S. aware of the linux version but they still haven't added the games i want to linux. :(
<(^.^)> Gamers Unite! <(^.^)>
Mojotroll
Baby Hen

Re: (PC version) Steam unable to work?

Postby Stupot » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34

This is correct. There is an update to steam that doesn't work with wine (came out December 3rd). It has been fixed in the wine respository, but that update hasn't been released yet. If it's critical need, you can always attempt to clone the wine git repository and compile it yourself, but that certainly won't be supported. It should be fixed in wine 1.7.8

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35030
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Mojotroll » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26

I was informed by Maintainer Bob of the steam about it but he informed me that I should ask to see if there was a binary update from the repository for it on sabayon? or to be soon! D: i would really like to test out some of the games i got!

Ty Stupot for the response!

Thanks,

Mojotroll
Mojotroll
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Dec 11, 2013 17:08

You probably won't see an updated version for sabayon until gentoo has one available most likely. The latest I see in the portage tree atm is 1.7.4 (we need 1.7.8 or greater).

There is an overlay that has a 1.7.8 (eroen), although I wouldn't expect the entropy team to add it. You can always make a bug request and see if they will though.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Mojotroll » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27

I really hope so! :( it's weird being unable to play the games i was playing! i will do that immediately!
thanks again
Mojotroll
Baby Hen

Postby Cb7 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:15

If you want to play games, wouldn't using PlayOnLinux be a better option? I mean, beside option to easily switch between wine versions, many games are supported in it 'out of box', it's easy to install proprietary parts that may be necessary to run some games, etc… Give it a look, it's a really good tool.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby Mojotroll » Fri Dec 13, 2013 14:22

(Update) Playonlinux it up worked like a charm.
:D woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot! now to beat my games
also if someone knows a way to run atlantica online please PM a way to get past the server authentication block!

mojotroll
Mojotroll
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Dec 13, 2013 17:21

Interesting, that play on linux fixed it for you.

I was already using play on linux and was hit with this issue.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Mojotroll » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:27

heres what i did

Uninstall Steam first
then go to install the program list and install to a new directory with 1.7.8 on both x86 and x64 bit
it worked like a charm after that, it did do that prior as well but... a reinstall will fix it
Mojotroll
Baby Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed