Problem: Login Failed

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Problem: Login Failed

Postby Ale_C0 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 20:20

Hi everybody!

I'm just switched from Fedora to Sabayon because i think it would fit better my needs.
I've just finished installind the latest version of Sabayon from a liveUSB created with LiLi.
After the installation (in italian, if relevant) but when i try to login it says "Login Failed". I cannot login even in root.
What can i do to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance, I hope to be part of the community ASAP!
Ale_C0
Baby Hen

Re: Problem: Login Failed

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:27

Ciao ...
I fear, that there won't be more choices than to install again, and while input your passwords for username and for root check for shift locked keys while typing in. Now you may only guess...
And, btw, as recommended here often, I would suggest you to create a Sabayon live stick with dd command:
Code: Select all
dd if=Sabayon_xxxxx.iso of=/dev/sdb
(provided, /dev/sdb is your USB device).

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Problem: Login Failed

Postby Cb7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:26

You can start system in single user mode, e.g. use bash as init, and then try to change password of root and (eventauly) user.

During boot in GRUB press 'e' to edit it, and change (changes in GRUB this way aren't permanent and last only until reboot)
Code: Select all
init=/whatever/is/here
## to:
init=/bin/bash

And continue with booting by pressing Ctrl+x. When system launches bash, simply change root password by: passwd , and eventauly user password: passwd username . When password is changed, reboot, either by reboot or shutdown -r now
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area