hplip not working hp officejet pro +

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

hplip not working hp officejet pro +

Postby HenryP » Mon Nov 04, 2013 19:30

Running Linux 3.10.0-sabayon through a hp pavillion desktop (from an 2 TB usb 3.0 external hd drive), 8 GB ram...

I have not been able to connect with my hp 8600 officejet pro plus printer using hplip. I just installed hplip 3.13.10... The printer won't configure (tried hp-setup as root, no good), whether by wireless, usb, or ethernet (& with ethernet, can't even find the device). Tried reverting back to hplip 3.13.9, didn't help (see setup report below).

When I manually install as per hp instructions, I get a message that Sabayon is not listed as a recognized distro (presumably by hp).

Any way, rather clueless as to what can be done. Help appreciated :? !

Henry

P.s. printer works on windows 8 (which I do dual boot)

Code: Select all
# hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.13.9)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Searching on USB bus...
GET /IoMgmt/Adapters HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
User-Agent: hplip/3.0
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: 0

GET /IoMgmt/Adapters/Wifi0/WifiNetworks HTTP/1.1

GET /IoMgmt/Adapters/Wifi0/Profiles/Active HTTP/1.1

GET /IoMgmt/Adapters/Wifi0/Protocols HTTP/1.1

GET /IoMgmt/Adapters/Wifi0/VsaCodes.xml HTTP/1.1

error: Unicode Error
GET /IoMgmt/Adapters/Wifi0/WifiNetworks/SSID=Peters-Jamadots Wireless HTTP/1.1

error: Request Failed With Response Code 400
GET /IoMgmt/IoConfig.xml HTTP/1.1

Done.
HenryP
Young Hen

Re: hplip not working hp officejet pro +

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 20:43

Although I don't use your particular model, I use several different models of HP printers and HP MFPs in various offices, but I never use hp-setup; I always install, configure and manage those printers via the CUPS Printer Manager in a browser window. Have you tried doing that? Launch Firefox, Chromium or whatever browser you prefer and enter http://localhost:631/ in the address field. However, before you do that, I recommend that you install the packages net-print/gutenprint, net-print/foomatic-db, net-print/foomatic-db-engine, net-print/foomatic-db-ppds, net-print/foomatic-filters and net-print/foomatic-filters-ppds, which has several drivers for various HP printers. Then you will have a choice of drivers to try in CUPS as well as the net-print/hplip drivers.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby HenryP » Mon Nov 04, 2013 22:38

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Although I don't use your particular model, I use several different models of HP printers and HP MFPs in various offices, but I never use hp-setup; I always install, configure and manage those printers via the CUPS Printer Manager in a browser window. Have you tried doing that? Launch Firefox, Chromium or whatever browser you prefer and enter http://localhost:631/ in the address field. However, before you do that, I recommend that you install the packages net-print/gutenprint, net-print/foomatic-db, net-print/foomatic-db-engine, net-print/foomatic-db-ppds, net-print/foomatic-filters and net-print/foomatic-filters-ppds, which has several drivers for various HP printers. Then you will have a choice of drivers to try in CUPS as well as the net-print/hplip drivers.

CUPS does not seem to be functioning either... but I need to use hplip, as my printer is multifunction (scan, copy, fax)... & I use all of those (scan needs to connect with xsane, as you undoubtedly know).

Sounds kind of audatious of me to say this,I think this may be a bug in the software... hplip does recognize the printer (& the wireless connect), I can go thru all the steps to connect... but after the last one... it just goes back to the first step (grr...).

Henry
HenryP
Young Hen

Postby greendave8 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 0:20

Fwitw...

I have this same 8600 printer scanner, and it is seen by hplip and prints perfectly.
HOWEVER, it will not scan since the last updates. My HP is on the wireless network and not conneced via USB....

Just sayin....

gd8
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby greendave8 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:10

Hi,
Try installing the latest hplip 3.13.11.... fixed my issue of not scanning. All is working properly with this update!

Good luck

gd8
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby HenryP » Fri Nov 08, 2013 21:53

greendave8 wrote:Hi,
Try installing the latest hplip 3.13.11.... fixed my issue of not scanning. All is working properly with this update!

Good luck

gd8

Thanks much for info... I tried it... seemed to be some (momentary) improvement in connecting, for scan & printer (& fax)... but then, in the end, failed to communicate with devices. I think next stop is at the hplip forum... will post a complaint & possibly a bug report... I saved the log of the install/hp-setup routine.

Regards,
Henry
HenryP
Young Hen

Postby shade304 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 22:08

I agree the hp-setup seems a little buggy, try using the -i option with the address of the printer, you can always check for communication with the hp by opening the address in a browser, if you can see the hp web controls, there shouldn't be any communication problems and the -i option should work.. I don't know what it searches for, but it tends to be unreliable when "searching for printers".. I wish it was easier! I have to set up different hp products on different computers, they are connected by network, this is the process I use:

su -
equo install hplip cups simple-scan cups-pdf
usermod -a -G lp,sys myusername
hp-setup -i 10.10.5.99
hp-makeuri 10.10.5.99 #output:

CUPS URI: hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_M2727nf_MFP?ip=10.10.5.99
SANE URI: hpaio:/net/HP_LaserJet_M2727nf_MFP?ip=10.10.5.99
HP Fax URI: hpfax:/net/HP_LaserJet_M2727nf_MFP?ip=10.10.5.99

To scan the following optional steps simplify things:

su -

If you want a custom icon, put the icon in the /usr/share/pixmaps/ directory:
mv hpm375nw-128-f.png /usr/share/pixmaps/

Make an freedesktop shortcut:

echo '[Desktop Entry]
Name=HP LaserJet 300 Scan
Terminal=false
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/hpm375nw-128-f.png
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Graphics;
Exec=/usr/bin/hp300scan
Comment=Simple Scan Using HP LaserJet 300 Network Scanner'>/usr/share/applications/hp300scan.desktop

Create the "hp300scan" using the output from the previous "hp-makeuri":

echo 'simple-scan hpaio:/net/HP_LaserJet_300_colorMFP_M375nw?ip=10.10.5.99'>/usr/bin/hp300scan
chmod 755 /usr/bin/hp300scan
usermod -a -G scanner myuser

This can be very helpful when using more than one scanner!
shade304
Simple Hen

Return to Hardware