Basic boot (a strange dance with Windows 8)...

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Basic boot (a strange dance with Windows 8)...

Postby HenryP » Wed Oct 23, 2013 18:32

I have Sabayon 13.10.0 installed on a usb 3.0 external hd. I do dual boot with Windows 8, on my AMD64 HP Pavillion desktop. I have been doing a very irritating dance to be able to use Sabayon: After I do a shutdown of my Linux system & CPU, to reboot Sabayon, I first need to completely boot back in to Windows... (going through the UEFI security hoops, which I can try to explain, if necessary), then back to the "legacy" mode (through UEFI), & restart---> "using a device"---> "hard drive"---> then the normal boot routine in Sabayon, via Grub.

What happens if I do not do this (completely boot into windows FIRST), is my CPU will hang up (blank screen, with a blinking underscore cursor in the upper left corner of the screen).

I have noticed that when the booting of Sabayon starts, about the third line of text, has an error message... something to the effect of "fstab /boot not valid mount point, ignoring." I have tried to obtain the boot in log... with no success. I have not been able to find any info on the suitability of using (say) syslog-ng from Gentoo on Sabayon...

This is from my /etc/fstab:
Code: Select all
#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Wed Sep 25 19:26:37 2013
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
/dev/mapper/vg_muisicroom-lv_root /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=dd44e02d-0531-4e47-b888-22d9761c9df9 /boot           ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_muisicroom-lv_home /home                   ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_muisicroom-lv_swap swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /tmp                    tmpfs   noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=100M 0 0

Getting this silly problem resolved would be VERY nice indeed, but it sure would be good to figure out how to get Grub 2 (which I have installed) working through the UEFI (which I understand might be possible to do... I have apprehensions of trying this, because of wiping out windows bootloader of my previous windows XP/Debian on my old CPU... & having to figure out how to remedy).

This may not be a "beginners" problem (sure makes me feel like one :) ). Any help here would be appreciated, very much! & get me on the way to trying to resolve some other problems (hopefully).

HenryP

P.s., when I do boot back into Windows, the clock is hours ahead of the actual time, & if I change it to the correct time, when I boot back into Sabayon, the clock there is changed (incorrect). Weird, no?
HenryP
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area