RT3290 not supported?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RT3290 not supported?

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:17

Hallo.
It appears, that you need a specific kernel module as described here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/253632/how-do-i-get-a-ralink-rt3290-wireless-card-working
But honestly, I don't know how to build this module for Sabayon, especially for your actual kernel.
When I do a 'locate rt28' on my Sabayon KDE 64 bit, latest upgrade two days ago, then I receive:
Code: Select all
locate rt28
/lib64/firmware/rt2860.bin
/lib64/firmware/rt2870.bin
/lib64/modules/3.11.0-sabayon/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800lib.ko
/lib64/modules/3.11.0-sabayon/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800pci.ko
/lib64/modules/3.11.0-sabayon/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800usb.ko

But when I do a 'locate rt329'
locate rt329
Code: Select all
/lib64/firmware/rt3290.bin
then there is only the firmware but no module.
The way, how to do (for Ubuntu) is not examplary, but the essence is, that there is needed a kernel module with a changed line in its config.mk file before compiling. Maybe someone else here (Fabio? Fitz?) knows, how you can adopt.
And it is said, that the modules rt2800pci and rt2x00pci should be blacklisted.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04

Hi,

Still no success from my side. So I've decided to buy a USB dongle to use my wifi.

However, the PCI usb is making network manager bugging I guess....as I cannot active the wifi. If I switch it on, it remains on only 1 sec, then switch back off.
I've tried by blacklisting rt2800pci and rt2xoopci and now I only see 1 interface, but still cannot switch it off.

Any idea to unmanage my pciwifi ?

Thank you
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38

Before you go on with changing your installed (your running) system, could you boot with a Sabayon Live media and try to get wireless connection?
If so, you get the answer for the basic question, is wireless possible principally.
Then, next decision can be made, I think.

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 16:45

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, using a live CD does the same. Cannot turn on the wifi.

I'm wondering if I cannot modify a bit the kernel to remove the PCI wifi directly to avoid any conflict...

Any other idea?

Thank you !
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 19:08

Install rfkill and read through the thread Can't enable wireless - RF_KILL problem? [Solved] in case it helps.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10

Thanks Fitz for the idea. But no issue with RFKILL.

But I made few progress. As blacklisting the modules of my PCI Wifi was not working, I've re-enable then but stop NetworkManager to use only WICD and select wlan1 for wifi (USB Wifi)

By doing so, it works but seems unstable. The connection drop after few minutes.

What can I do to improve it or fix the issue?

Thanks !
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34

A new Wireless USB Stick is about 10, Euro, maybe 13 Dollars.
Do yourself a favour and check which one is supported by linux. Then buy it.
And next time, buy a well linux supported hardware (notebook).
In my case I had Packard Bell notebook, which is a daughter (subbranch) of Acer.
Now I have an Acer V3-571G, which is supported in every detail, as there are wireless lan, bluetooth, brightness, suspend to ram, suspend to disk.
Two things, I'm not sure about now, are:
1. Uefi - I don't use it, I've exchanged my build-in hdd to an ssd and do a normal (non-secure) boot. I've never got
booted any Sabayon live media, when Uefi was set in BIOS (error: no UEFI bootable media can be found).
2. NVidia Optimus - I have set BIOS to use integrated video, which is Intel, which finally leads into low energy use.
But I can boot with 'switchable', means nvidia also, and there are nvidia drivers and bumblebee in repo also.

Best would be, if you will buy new hardware, try to boot with USB live media before you buy.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:24

Hi,

As stated few post earlier, I do have a USB wifi dongle and this is not working neither as the PCI wifi seems to mess with the system....

For Hardware, well I bought a computer I thought no issue will occur...but well...I was wrong...Anyway the support will come 1 day I guess...
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:06

dudumomo wrote:Hi,

As stated few post earlier, I do have a USB wifi dongle and this is not working neither as the PCI wifi seems to mess with the system....

For Hardware, well I bought a computer I thought no issue will occur...but well...I was wrong...Anyway the support will come 1 day I guess...

I remember, you said, that you already have an USB dongle. But that does not mean, this dongle will be supported by linux. And more, a new hardware will not be supported by linux by default. Too many hardware components exist. All drivers must be written by someone who is willing to do.
There are some websites with recommendations about linux hardware, which is supported. See here:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/211113/how_to_buy_a_linux_laptop.html
here:
http://linuxpreloaded.com/
Yes, I don't deny, we linux users have a problem with hardware, but this means only, we must choose hardware due to linux support, not make priority on Windows.
I have made good experience with Packard Bell and Acer. I also run Sabayon 13.09 64bit KDE on a Samsung netbook (1024x600). It works, wireless and bluetooth build in, already. Suspend works, brightness works. So you see, hardware is given. Lenove is said to be good supported also.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 13:19

Hi,

My USB dongle is perfectly working on Linux. I'm using it for my Pi Rasp without any issue.

On sabayon, it is well recognized but the connection is not stable and cut after few seconds. I think it is still due to my PCI Wifi...may be a conflict.
But I guess it might be better to create a new post dedicated to this issue then.

Thanks for the help
dudumomo
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Networking and Wireless