Installing Sabayon on USB drive - reboot problem[Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Installing Sabayon on USB drive - reboot problem[Solved]

Postby AnneW » Sat Jul 27, 2013 14:31

I used the KDE live CD to install Sabayon to a USB hard drive. All appeared to go well until I came to the reboot. I have installed the bootloader to the USB drive, sdb.

One thing may complicate matters - my laptops CD reader/writer is unreliable, so I installed from a USB CD reader, with that drive having first priority, the USB hard drive having second priority, and the laptop HDD having third priority.

At the reboot stage, should the CD be removed? Most distros do tell you to do that.

If the disk is to be left in, I presume I need to change the boot order?

So far all I've managed is a blank, black screen, with both CD drive and USB drive whirring away and getting nowhere. My sda Mageia install is fine, so no question that the Sabayon install went to sdb.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by AnneW on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
AnneW
Baby Hen

Re: Installing Sabayon on USB drive - reboot problem[Solved]

Postby AnneW » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32

It seems that the problem is down to the laptop itself. In theory it can boot from a USB hard drive, and it is set to do so, but it doesn't. Today I plugged the hard drive into my netbook, and Sabayon booted perfectly, so now is the time to start learning :-)

Anne
AnneW
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area