New Installation

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

New Installation

Postby aasalem » Thu Jul 25, 2013 21:02

I had this issue installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32) alongside Vista on an HP Pavilion-dv2700 Notebook PC with an AMD Turion 64×2 TL-58 1.90GHz processor, Adapter Description:NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M, Driver Version: 7.15.11.7991, BIOS Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard F.28, 3/2/2011.

Dual-booting worked OK, screen looks good and graphics was good during initialization, until Password screen came-up then all the screen become covered with uniform shades sort of like a window blind covering a house-window.

Picture available at ( http://ghgghgghghgg.wordpress.com/2011/ ... rm-shades/ )

Now am considering switching to Sabayon:
Any idea which Sabayon will work better on this Notebook?
aasalem
Baby Hen

Re: New Installation

Postby dave_64 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 21:25

I think the video card (chipset), is a little bit old, and there were problems with the drivers on older nvidia cards a few months ago. Those driver problems may have been fixed in the latest versions, so, I would try one of the recent sabayon releases at:
http://torrents.sabayon.org
I like kde so I would probably get this one:
http://torrents.sabayon.org/file?info_h ... %16H%7B%07
If you prefer gnome, or a lightweight DE, they are right there too.
If they run as a live dvd, you could install it. If it still works good after the installation, do an upgrade, and that might be where the driver problem shows up. It would require you to install an older nvidia driver...not too difficult. But, I think it will survive the upgrade with no problem.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby matuss » Thu Jul 25, 2013 21:30

Any flavor of Sabayon should work. I don't know what has caused the problem in Ubuntu installation, but i would not recommend using Gnome3 (because of previous problems in Ubuntu and i personally dont like Gnome3 :D ).

Try KDE (if you would like rather fancy envoronment with eyecandy) or XFCE (if you would prefer something rather simple and lighter (it's similar to Gnome2) with possible eyecandy if you wish) or MATE (Gnome2 clone) edition.

I wouldn't recommend LXDE for a while because it is merging with Razor-qt - I'm waiting what is the result going to be like :)
matuss
Baby Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:00

I would recommend XFCE. I had the least problems with that. If you can figure out how to start that on Sabayon, Gnome 3 Classic might be a good choice too. MATE is like a stripped down version of Gnome 2.

For a while a used Cinnamon on a Sabayon MATE installation, but cinnamon stopped working after a few upgrades.
E17 would also be an alternative.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area