After Jul 22 update, can't get past GRUB menu [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

After Jul 22 update, can't get past GRUB menu [Solved]

Postby dontregister » Tue Jul 23, 2013 18:34

After selecting a grub boot option (either normal or recovery mode) the screen blanks and eventually becomes static. I can reboot using ctrl+alt+del, but that's about it.

Since I am using the full partition encryption, I would normally get a request for a partition key.

My installed version is Sabayon XFCE, for AMD64, using the sabayonlinux.org repo.

There is a difference between normal grub and recovery grub, in that the recovery boot displays a dark background completely, but it still does not display a key request and eventually becomes static. Normal grub boot does not display a background before becoming static.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by dontregister on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49, edited 1 time in total.
dontregister
Baby Hen

Re: After Jul 22 update, can't get past GRUB menu

Postby dontregister » Tue Jul 23, 2013 22:08

So, I tried to get more information by removing 'splash=silent,theme:sabayon' and 'quiet' from the boot command and was able to get some output on the screen. the last line that shows up is:

"fb: conflicting fd hw usage radeondrmfb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver"

Then, nothing happens for a bit, and then the screen turns into static.

If there is any more information I can provide, please let me know. I really need to get my computer working again.

Thanks
dontregister
Baby Hen

Postby dontregister » Tue Jul 23, 2013 22:54

Searching for that last line, I found some instructions to add modprobe.blacklist=radeon to the boot command. When I did, the computer was able to ask for my partition password and I eventually got to a cli login.

Now I just need to get back my X server. :)

Any help is appreciated.
dontregister
Baby Hen

Postby dontregister » Tue Jul 23, 2013 23:33

Code: Select all
setparams 'Sabayon GNU/Linux

load_video
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,gpt2'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2 #uuidhash#
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root #uuidhash#
        fi
        echo 'Loading Linux x86_64-3.9.0-sabayon ...'
        linux /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.0-sabayon ro init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 console=tty1 quiet dokeymap keymap=us domdadm resume=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap real_resume=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap dolvm root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root crypt_root=UUID=#uuidhash# docrypt
        echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        initrd '/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.0-sabayon'

Here's my boot command without the blacklist change. the #uuidhash# are placeholder because I don't want to type all that.
dontregister
Baby Hen

Postby dontregister » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:06

Okay, so I was able to get x server and xfce4 up, but the problem still isn't fixed. What I do is add the 'modprobe.blacklist=radeon' into the grub bootup line, then login to a tty1. then I run:
sudo modprobe radeon
and
startxfce4
and my desktop pops right up.

Why would that work if loading radeon earlier doesn't?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
dontregister
Baby Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14

You could keep the radeon driver blacklisted at boot and use the Catalyst drivers for X instead. It doesn't really solve the problem, but might work as a workaround.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby dontregister » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:02

Thanks for the suggestion. I must admit, I've never had good experiences with the closed source drivers (Catalyst in particular), but it's been a while since I've tried using them, so I'll consider it.
dontregister
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16

You are missing "nomodeset" in your boot command line if you want to use the proprietary catalyst drivers... It's even mentioned in the release notes and on the notice board.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:58

dontregister wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I must admit, I've never had good experiences with the closed source drivers (Catalyst in particular), but it's been a while since I've tried using them, so I'll consider it.

I think as long as you don't use them with a new range of ATI cards, they're ok. They might not work well with a few Windoze games that run Physx, but the radeon driver isn't better there either. I've been using an ATI card for more than a year now. At the beginning their drivers were a bit buggy (anti-aliasing didn't work with all games), but that changed pretty quickly.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby dontregister » Wed Jul 24, 2013 15:57

lxnay, I am not currently using the proprietary driver. I am having problems with the radeon driver.
dontregister
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area