Thunderbird v14 and gmail [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Thunderbird v14 and gmail [Solved]

Postby kage » Wed Aug 29, 2012 14:05

Hi,

After the fresh install of Sabayon 9 k I installed Thunderbird. I received v14 and tried to install both my gmail boxes.
That didn't work. The inbox stays totally blank
Tried to change the servers from google, no luck.

I googled and found this:
https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mes ... with_gmail

None of it worked for me. My wife upgraded from v13 to v14 without problems but installing the mail in v14 doesn't work.

So I want to downgrade to v13.

Can anybody tell me how I do that?

kage
Last edited by kage on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:03, edited 1 time in total.
kage
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:53

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 14:43

1. Check versions in Portage for 13.*:

Code: Select all
$ eix mail-client/thunderbird
[I] mail-client/thunderbird
     Available versions:  10.0.5 10.0.6 (~)14.0 {{+alsa bindist +crashreporter +crypt custom-cflags custom-optimization +dbus debug gconf +ipc +jit libnotify +lightning linguas_ar linguas_ast linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn_BD linguas_br linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en_GB linguas_es_AR linguas_es_ES linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_fy_NL linguas_ga_IE linguas_gd linguas_gl linguas_he linguas_hr linguas_hu linguas_hy_AM linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_lt linguas_nb_NO linguas_nl linguas_nn_NO linguas_pa_IN linguas_pl linguas_pt_BR linguas_pt_PT linguas_rm linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sv_SE linguas_ta_LK linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_vi linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW +minimal mozdom selinux startup-notification system-sqlite +webm wifi}}
     Installed versions:  14.0(23:22:06 11/08/12)(alsa crypt dbus ipc jit libnotify lightning linguas_en_GB linguas_pt_BR minimal startup-notification webm wifi -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gconf -linguas_ar -linguas_ast -linguas_be -linguas_bg -linguas_bn_BD -linguas_br -linguas_ca -linguas_cs -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_el -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_ES -linguas_et -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gd -linguas_gl -linguas_he -linguas_hr -linguas_hu -linguas_hy_AM -linguas_id -linguas_is -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ko -linguas_lt -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nl -linguas_nn_NO -linguas_pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_rm -linguas_ro -linguas_ru -linguas_si -linguas_sk -linguas_sl -linguas_sq -linguas_sr -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_ta_LK -linguas_tr -linguas_uk -linguas_vi -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW -mozdom -selinux -system-sqlite)
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
     Description:         Thunderbird Mail Client

* mail-client/thunderbird-bin
     Available versions:  10.0.5^mbs 10.0.6^mbs (~)13.0.1^mbs (~)14.0^mbs {{+crashreporter linguas_ar linguas_ast linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn_BD linguas_br linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en_GB linguas_es_AR linguas_es_ES linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_fy_NL linguas_ga_IE linguas_gd linguas_gl linguas_he linguas_hu linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_lt linguas_nb_NO linguas_nl linguas_nn_NO linguas_pa_IN linguas_pl linguas_pt_BR linguas_pt_PT linguas_rm linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sv_SE linguas_ta_LK linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_vi linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW}}
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird
     Description:         Thunderbird Mail Client

Found 2 matches.

2. Install what is available in 13.*:

Code: Select all
emerge --sync
emerge -1v =thunderbird-bin-13.0.1
User avatar
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 7978
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail

Postby cl00t » Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:41

Using Gmail in TB14 here ok, I didn't realise there were reported problems with it.
Just wondering though, can't you drop your backup up ".thunderbird" directory into your home directory & have it pick up all your existing settings? There's no need to set TB up from scratch after a fresh install.
cl00t
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 15:29

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail

Postby kage » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00

cl00t wrote:Using Gmail in TB14 here ok, I didn't realise there were reported problems with it.
Just wondering though, can't you drop your backup up ".thunderbird" directory into your home directory & have it pick up all your existing settings? There's no need to set TB up from scratch after a fresh install.


Thnx Cloot

Actually you're right. I used tot do that in the old day's. Since I use gmail (IMAP) I always start up fresh and let google fill it up.

I tried it with 14. I naturally see my old posting and so but it will not add new ones.

Think I'll pass 14 and wait for 15

greetz
kage
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:53

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail

Postby kage » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:02

Fitzcarraldo wrote:1. Check versions in Portage for 13.*:

Code: Select all
$ eix mail-client/thunderbird
[I] mail-client/thunderbird
     Available versions:  10.0.5 10.0.6 (~)14.0 {{+alsa bindist +crashreporter +crypt custom-cflags custom-optimization +dbus debug gconf +ipc +jit libnotify +lightning linguas_ar linguas_ast linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn_BD linguas_br linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en_GB linguas_es_AR linguas_es_ES linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_fy_NL linguas_ga_IE linguas_gd linguas_gl linguas_he linguas_hr linguas_hu linguas_hy_AM linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_lt linguas_nb_NO linguas_nl linguas_nn_NO linguas_pa_IN linguas_pl linguas_pt_BR linguas_pt_PT linguas_rm linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sv_SE linguas_ta_LK linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_vi linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW +minimal mozdom selinux startup-notification system-sqlite +webm wifi}}
     Installed versions:  14.0(23:22:06 11/08/12)(alsa crypt dbus ipc jit libnotify lightning linguas_en_GB linguas_pt_BR minimal startup-notification webm wifi -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -gconf -linguas_ar -linguas_ast -linguas_be -linguas_bg -linguas_bn_BD -linguas_br -linguas_ca -linguas_cs -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_el -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_ES -linguas_et -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gd -linguas_gl -linguas_he -linguas_hr -linguas_hu -linguas_hy_AM -linguas_id -linguas_is -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ko -linguas_lt -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nl -linguas_nn_NO -linguas_pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_rm -linguas_ro -linguas_ru -linguas_si -linguas_sk -linguas_sl -linguas_sq -linguas_sr -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_ta_LK -linguas_tr -linguas_uk -linguas_vi -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW -mozdom -selinux -system-sqlite)
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
     Description:         Thunderbird Mail Client

* mail-client/thunderbird-bin
     Available versions:  10.0.5^mbs 10.0.6^mbs (~)13.0.1^mbs (~)14.0^mbs {{+crashreporter linguas_ar linguas_ast linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn_BD linguas_br linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en_GB linguas_es_AR linguas_es_ES linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_fy_NL linguas_ga_IE linguas_gd linguas_gl linguas_he linguas_hu linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_ko linguas_lt linguas_nb_NO linguas_nl linguas_nn_NO linguas_pa_IN linguas_pl linguas_pt_BR linguas_pt_PT linguas_rm linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sv_SE linguas_ta_LK linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_vi linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW}}
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird
     Description:         Thunderbird Mail Client

Found 2 matches.

2. Install what is available in 13.*:

Code: Select all
emerge --sync
emerge -1v =thunderbird-bin-13.0.1



Thank you very much!
I now went back to 13 and will pass 14.

greetz
kage
kage
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:53

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail [Solved]

Postby cl00t » Thu Aug 30, 2012 15:12

Hello, shouldn't you now run
Code: Select all
# equo rescue spmsync --ask
?
Also, don't you need to mask TB13 so that it isn't upgraded to TB14 next time time you run
Code: Select all
# equo upgrade --ask
Otherwise what will stop entropy upgrading it?
I'm trying to understand more about installing the odd package from portage where necessary.
cl00t
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 15:29

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail [Solved]

Postby kage » Thu Aug 30, 2012 15:37

cl00t wrote:Hello, shouldn't you now run
Code: Select all
# equo rescue spmsync --ask
?
Also, don't you need to mask TB13 so that it isn't upgraded to TB14 next time time you run
Code: Select all
# equo upgrade --ask
Otherwise what will stop entropy upgrading it?
I'm trying to understand more about installing the odd package from portage where necessary.


Hi cl00t

I'm not that good in cli. Apart from the commands: yes I should. But..... 2 days ago v15 was released. I installed w7 in Virtualbox. v14 windows had the same problem as the Linux version. I installed v15 in w7 and there were no probs installing, connecting and filling up my gmail.

It is possible that in the next Sabayon update v15 is included so I won't mask it.

cheers
kage
kage
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:53

Re: Thunderbird v14 and gmail [Solved]

Postby cl00t » Thu Aug 30, 2012 15:47

Hi, I doubt TB15 will be in the next update, it's not in limbo yet, then it needs to go to main, then weekly.
At least if you run
Code: Select all
equo upgrade --ask
you can see if TB is going to be upgraded.
cl00t
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 15:29


Return to Beginners|Newbies Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests