Spinbase or CoreCDX for Vanilla KDE & Dual Boot [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Spinbase or CoreCDX for Vanilla KDE & Dual Boot [Solved]

Postby Butch Cassidy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 18:31

...set up.

- As title really. Never used SL before and was wondering which one was more appropriate for dual booting with Windows with. I'm guessing CoreCDX reading up (better installer).

- Also, I can't find any n00b Spinbase / CoreCDX tutorials to install KDE on top of base (when it's installed). Could someone just run through that for me. I've read the Entropy wiki and am reading the other links etc to catch up.

Thanks.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Re: Spinbase or CoreCDX for Vanilla KDE & Dual Boot

Postby ratcheer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 18:56

Code: Select all
equo install kde-meta

Tim
ratcheer
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 19:13

Use CoreCDX, then you've got the X.Org Server installed too. Once you've installed KDE as explained by ratcheer, don't forget to edit /etc/conf.d/xdm to change DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" to DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" in order to use the KDE Display Manager.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 21:44

Thanks, install went great but I'm having a problem getting internet access in Fluxbox to connect to SL reps.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 22:44

That's a pain. I've just had a look at the package list, and CoreCDX has NetworkManager but no nm-applet. OK, so you're going to have to boot the LiveDVD and chroot into the installation (see https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... m_a_LiveCD) then install nm-applet plus do the following:

rc-update add NetworkManager default

Then exit the chroot environment as explained in the Wiki article, reboot, launch nm-applet from a terminal window in Fluxbox, and you should be able to proceed from there.

EDIT (August 29, 2012 10:39 BST): Fixed an error in the above-mentioned command.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 23:06

When you get to:
(chroot) # <enter any command you want>

Is it literally?
(chroot) # equo install nm-applet --ask
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:38

Essentially, yes, but make sure you do an equo update first so as to update the local Entropy database on your machine. Also, once you have Internet access, make sure you read Entropy: Fresh Install - What to do?.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby cl00t » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:23

Fitzcarraldo wrote:That's a pain. I've just had a look at the package list, and CoreCDX has NetworkManager but no nm-applet. OK, so you're going to have to boot the LiveDVD and chroot into the installation (see https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... m_a_LiveCD) then install nm-applet plus do the following:

rc-update add NetworkManager default

Then exit the chroot environment as explained in the Wiki article, reboot, launch nm-applet from a terminal window in Fluxbox, and you should be able to proceed from there.

EDIT (August 29, 2012 10:39 BST): Fixed an error in the above-mentioned command.

Not doubting what you're saying for a minute, but when I installed a Corecdx setup I just plugged in a network cable & did everything within fluxbox, I didn't have to do any of this.
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40

I tried sticking a network cable in and seeing if it 'auto detected' it but kept getting the same error messages (which is why I eventually pinged a few websites and realised I had no connection).
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby cl00t » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51

Interesting, wonder why it worked for me. I did basic setups with v8 and v9 corecdx like that. Could it be that you need to authenticate even with wired connections? I'm on cable & I just plug anything in and it works.
cl00t
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area