Nvidia 560Ti Linux Install 'Nomodeset'

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Nvidia 560Ti Linux Install 'Nomodeset'

Postby barryg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 13:01

Hi all. I upgraded from my trusty Nvidia 9800GTX+ to an MSI 560Ti some time ago and have constant problems when installing Linux. By adding the 'Nomodeset' entry to the boot parameters i can at least get to desktop, but once there i have problems setting up the Nvidia drivers.

Literally everytime after i install the Nvidia driver i'm asked to enter 'Nvidia-Xconfig' in Konsole. After doing this i reboot the system and end up in text mode because the install cannot find the Nvidia X-server. I reboot in recovery mode and eventually - sometimes - i get back onto the desktop. Get Konsole running and enter 'Nvidia-settings', guess what - i need to enter Nvidia-Xconfig to configure the drivers :roll:

As i understand it - being a noob thus i'm probably wrong - by using the parameter 'Nomodeset', i'm bypassing the Nouveau driver in the Kernel. I fail to understand why a graphics card that was released approx 1.5 years old needs a workaround for installation, but a 4 year old 9800GTX+ installs without the need for the 'Nomodeset' parameter.

Do you think this problem could/would be addressed by the Kernel devs, or perhaps another (easier) solution can be found for using a 560Ti card.

Regards Barryg
barryg
Baby Hen

Re: Nvidia 560Ti Linux Install 'Nomodeset'

Postby sabayonino » Wed Aug 22, 2012 18:08

I run SL with 560 and 560Ti . I've no probelms. no boot parmeters need

If you got NV 9800 you don't need nothing to setup.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: Nvidia 560Ti Linux Install 'Nomodeset'

Postby Jomiel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 19:34

I'm also using a 560Ti and never needed any boot parameters.
Unfortunally I can't think of any solution for your problem.
Jomiel
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area