Application windows easily corrupted if moved

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Application windows easily corrupted if moved

Postby jcoles » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:15

I installed Sabayon 9 with Xfce.
Moving a window can easily corrupt its contents. The effect looks like fine horizontal lines. There are several ways to restore normal display:
- moving the mouse around over the affected area
- gently moving the window again a short distance
- cause updates in the window, for example, in Terminal you could hit Return

Is there any known fix for this issue?

Re video hardware, /sbin/lspci shows:
Code: Select all
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200]
01:05.1 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon Xpress Series (RS482)

I didn't do anything about special video drivers. Most articles on the topic just give me a headache. The install program should have picked the right drivers anyway, right?

So far, Sabayon has worked better as a LiveCD than as an installed OS.
jcoles
Baby Hen

Re: Application windows easily corrupted if moved

Postby bklive » Thu Aug 09, 2012 19:53

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

Down at the bottom it talks about Artifacts on Login. I have this same issue because my ATI card isn't fully supported (at all, really) anymore because it's old. Quick fix might be to switch over to tty1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and
Code: Select all
# pkill X
or however you started X (with a DM maybe?) and then delete the current /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and restart X (the reverse of how you killed it).
bklive
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area