Managing Languages

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Managing Languages

Postby p.barill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 23:07

Managing Languages and Dictionaries

I would like to get software with only two languages for spelling and the like: English and French (without the rest of the UN please). More specifically with Firefox and Thunderbird. And I'm not interested in getting loads of languages for UI.

If I try Firefox and Thunderbird from entropy, it tells me

>> @@ Download size: 55.0MB
>> @@ Used disk space: 1100.7MB

I got a serious problem with the second line! So I might as well consider the portage flavor, which might make more sense, especially as I can determine what LINGUAS gets there.

I have no desire to get 20+ languages. However I would appreciate to have French spellcheck.

Question #1:
Does linguas_fr mean that it will fetch spellcheck for French as well, or it this only about UI language?

From what I understand about portage, I should edit LINGUAS in /etc/make.conf. But we are told that we should not do so in Sabayon. Ok.

Question #2:
Then do what? How??

The "HOWTO: Safely mix Entropy and Portage" suggests editing

nano /etc/portage/package.use

Issue: that's a folder, not a file. And there are quite a few files "package.use.***" in that area. Still wondering how to set USE and LINGUAS flags.

Further, I noticed in Firefox and Entropy (from entropy) that the spellcheck got English US, Canada, UK, New Zealand, South Africa...

Question #3
Is there a way to kill this bloat from the menu? Quite nasty to have entries in my way when I never use them (and never asked for).

Thank you.
p.barill
Baby Hen

Re: Managing Languages

Postby sabayonino » Thu Jul 26, 2012 23:27

Firefox was compiled with full language support (Binary Package is for everyone, not just for you ;) )
Remove language support from Firefox : Menu-->Addons--->Language

>> @@ Used disk space: 1100.7MB

not real. does not require 1Gb (and Over)

To remove downloaded package :
Code: Select all
# equo cleaunp

If you want Firefox with your languas support :
# LINGUAS="fr en" emerge firefox

or set LINGUAS variable in /etc/make.conf and run "emerge firefox"

when you compile from porta ge, remember to run :
# equo rescue spmsync

bye
sabayonino