Butterschnapps

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Butterschnapps

Postby butterschnapps » Mon Jul 23, 2012 21:09

Soooo, new to Sabayon, running 8 with xfce 32bit. just installed it cause it was the only one to work out of the linux magainzes I got back in Bahrain, and I got rid of all of my isos. linux user and developer magazine 111 if anyone is curious. I was rather saddened to see it didn't come with awesome, as that's what I want to run as my wm. I'll be doing a clean install when I get back to the U.S., but until then could someone point me in the direction of the iso of sabayon 9 with awesome? Or better yet, a guide for compiling from source as well as adding awesome?

I'm a sys admin for the Navy, unix and unix-like OS's are where I specialize, as well as command line for network hardware. Starting the 27th of August, I'll be a full time student, and also a lead guitarist for a metal band, provided the band likes me and I like them. I look forward to running a completely keyboard ran system. My only concern is web browsing, I like firefox and thunderbird for the configurabilty of them with security, privacy and anonymity.

I am also interested in programming, and while I've looked at a few languages, I've yet to find a language I like enough to actually learn as I want to join a project to help in the development, preferably something for the underdogs, cryptoanarchists, resistance groups and the like. Freedom, Security, Privacy and Anonymity in this digital age is what I want to support. So, if you've got suggestions let me know. I do use Tor, Arm, and other darknet software, and I like networking with people who share my interests. I will also be joining a hackerspace in the city where my school is, but I don't know how many people there are into the software side of hacking. We'll see though.
Last edited by butterschnapps on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43, edited 1 time in total.
Electronic Freedom Foundation Member
Snak til meg på norsk!
butterschnapps
Baby Hen

Awesome WM

Postby butterschnapps » Mon Jul 23, 2012 21:15

So, as stated in my first post, I am saddened that the install disk I have on hand does not have awesome, and it is also Sabayon 8. I am trying to get Awesome WM running on my netbook within the next 11 days, because I'll be in the U.S. after that, and out of the Navy. So, I'm new to the Gentoo based distros and the way they work. I am used to debian based distros like kubuntu and Linux Mint, debian itself. So, this is a new ride for me.

Thanks for your help in advance, and I hope I can get this working without having to connect the laptop to the internet, as I can't connect it to my network here.
Snak til meg på norsk!
butterschnapps
Baby Hen

Re: Butterschnapps

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 24, 2012 0:26

Merging topics, please do not make more than one post on same subject.

Awesome is available via the package manager, you will need internet to be able to install packages and keep your install up to date as we are a rolling release. There is no iso with just awesome on it. Sabayon Forensics iso does have awesome wm on it, but it's not default, you can select it on the login box. You would need internet to download that iso, which is on our mirrors in the daily folder.

I would highly recommend you start with our wiki and learn the package manager, entropy.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby butterschnapps » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47

Okay let's go with that, connecting to the internet directly is not an option for the next 10 days, and I will need to install and invoke awesome offline. Is there a way to do this with Sabayon or am I forced to use entropy? I also noticed that I can't use the install files I got from truecrypt's website, and I must go through entropy, I find that to be a nuisance, since I cannot access my truecrypted file systems with your distro.
Snak til meg på norsk!
butterschnapps
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20

We do not support installing apps outside of the package manager. You can do whatever you want, but you should use entropy package manager. Truecrypt is available via entropy.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby butterschnapps » Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:15

Well, in that case I will be wiping sabayon off of my laptop, as I like to change source code and compile myself.
Thanks for the info.
Snak til meg på norsk!
butterschnapps
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Tue Jul 24, 2012 14:55

Be aware that Sabayon is 100% compatible (in fact it's available by default) with portage, which is a source based package manager and it is a valid package manager for Sabayon, right along with entropy (still entropy is considered the default package manager and the recommended and supported way to manage software).
If you are an experienced user you can use portage and mix source packages with binary packages provided by entropy as you wish.
Notice the if you are an experienced user, since you have to know what you are doing or you could create inconsistencies with your system.

What is bad practice, not recommended and completely unsupported, yet very popular thanks to some exotic tutorials on the internet and recommendations you can find very easily, is manual compilation outside the package manager. Typically achieved by unpacking tar.bz archives and running manually make and other tools.
That is dangerous, unsupported and has to be avoided, not only on Sabayon, but on any distro.
micia
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area