Latest versions of DEs etc.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Latest versions of DEs etc.

Postby smaug42 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 20:33

I'm just starting to experiment with Sabayon, and I've been poking the forums, Google etc to try and find the answer to one of the questions I have.. and no concrete success yet.

I've installed Sabayon 9/KDE4 using defaults. When I go check to see what version of KDE4 I have it shows 4.8.3. I'm running KDE4.8.4 in another distro right now, and can easily (by adding a repository set and doing an update) install KDE4.9.0 RC1 without risking the rest of my install with unstable stuff. How do I do this on Sabyon? Do I go the route of Gentoo/portage or is this something I can pull out of the Sabayon Limbo repository? Or something else?

Basically, is there a more up-to-date repository (for KDE4) than the default sabayonlinux.org repository that is reasonably stable-ish (I'm thinking of the dire warnings against using Sabayon-Hell)
smaug42
Baby Hen

Re: Latest versions of DEs etc.

Postby wolfden » Wed Jun 27, 2012 20:47

Packages are added to limbo as portage gets them, usually run a few days behind portage is all. You can use http://packages.sabayon.org/ to see what is what in all the repos and portage.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby smaug42 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 21:58

Aha, OK, enabled Limbo and doing an upgrade to... KDE4.8.4 Which is good enough for now. I'll poke it for KDE4.9.0RC1 later.
smaug42
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 22:28

Just a forwarning, you will run into things that break running Sabayon-limbo.

There aren't (as of yet anyway) any repos for entropy that contain just the latest KDE (or any other DE or set of applications). So by jumping to limbo, you aren't just upgrading KDE, you're upgrading everything to things that are not fully tested out.

There's nothing wrong with doing so, mind you. Just as long as you understand that things will break from time to time by doing what you are doing.

KDE is mostly making incremental changes at the moment anyway, so unless you are running into a specific bug that has been fixed, there's little reason to rush ahead and get the latest before it's been tested. (Just my two cents.)
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby smaug42 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 22:36

Yes, I'm OK with running Limbo and getting the newer potentially broken packages. I usually run/test other distros on the development trees.

I am ultimately looking to test KDE4.9.0 and newer with Sabayon. It's running in a VM right now, so borked installs once in a while are fine. :-)
smaug42
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 23:08

I'm sure it will be on limbo just a couple of days after it's added to portage. I dunno if the RC will make it. It might not show up until 4.9.0 is released.

Sounds like you've got exactly what you're looking for though, as far as Sabayon goes.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:00

- KDE 4.8.4 is in Limbo.
http://twitter.com/joostruis/status/217533008150925312 :D
- We are NOT going to include an RC, not even in testing.
- We MIGHT even skip KDE 4.9.0 because traditionally the ZERO point KDE releases give users headaches.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby smaug42 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04

Seriously? You subscribe to the whole point zero myth?
smaug42
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 19:12

What joost is referring to isn't a myth, rather past experiences releasing KDE releases.

That said, KDE isn't going through as major of changes as it did back then (4.0-4.6), so I would be surprised if we didn't see a 4.9.0 release.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area