Sabayon 9 x64 KDE - Cinnamon Install

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 9 x64 KDE - Cinnamon Install

Postby stressed » Wed Jun 20, 2012 22:07

Hello...
I've installed Sabayon 9 x64 KDE with no issues. I thought I would try Cinnamon out to see how I would like it. Fired up Rigo, searched and installed the latest version of Cinnamon. Now, when choosing Cinnamon and logging in, Cinnamon "tries" to load, displays many vertical colored lines on the monitor and then takes me straight back to the login screen. Hmmmm. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? I'm a little new to Sabayon and thought I may be doing something incorrectly. Any suggestions would be helpful and I thank you in advance.
stressed
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 9 x64 KDE - Cinnamon Install

Postby bill1815 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 23:42

Cinnamon wouldn't run for me either. Obviously something still missing there. Razorqt installed and ran very nicely, however...
bill1815
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08

Cinnamon needs gnome3, it's not a stand alone Desktop Environment, it's a fork of gnome-shell, so you will need to install gnome3 to use Cinnamon
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59

I forgot to mention, I also tried installing Cinnamon and I have Gnome 3. Am not sure what is wrong with it but does have issues. A few minutes after it appears, it looks like a lightning storm on my screen. As I had used the CInnamon desktop in another distro of Linux, I know for some reason is either a conflict with ATI drivers or is just not written very well! The results were similar to the other distro of Linux so that is how I base my statement. Since, I have great response on Sabayon9, I am very doubtful ATI drivers are to blame. I sincerely believe is some overlooked problem with Cinnamon itself. Will also add am staying on gnome3 since is great looking, easy to use and highly highly functional!!! Window switching rocks and never would leave a major asset like that!
BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23

with no logs or errors posted, nobody knows.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby bill1815 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:46

Wolfden, I had neglected to thank you for your earlier reply. I installed Gnome3, and Cinnamon worked perfectly. For what it's worth BBOSAK2143, I'm running on ATI drivers also, and they caused no problems...
bill1815
Baby Hen

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 0:20

After experiencing all the difficulties with Gnome extensions, will have to repeal the idea of the ATI drivers being at fault. On the other Linux distro and this one was running the weather indicator. As that has now been totally disabled and abandoned by Gnome, I have a real suspicion that was the culprit! Was a real power draw on Gnome desktop as it updates every 5 minutes. When it was ran with Virtualbox, the draw seemed to crash the desktop. After I discovered that fact I disabled when using Virtualbox and had no real problems. Once in a while when Entropy and the Weather indicator would operate at the same time, desktop would crash. Most of the time they operated at different times! Even though there are beautiful themes for Cinnamon, and believe me I ran some great looking ones! Will still have to say that the Gnome Desktop can be made to appear better looking! Of course is only my opinion! Well best of luck with the desktop and hope it always works perfectly! I don't hate any desktop, but have just become very fond of Gnome's desktop! KDE is starting to look quite nice and has great stability. Take a nuclear bomb to knock it down!! Still, I like Gnome and hope one day it will become just as stable as KDE!
BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area