Not enough space error

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Not enough space error

Postby maxlaw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:12

okay well I tried that on live system from live cd but it does not allow me to install any thing but i got it installed on my os but idk how to open it ,if "lshw > lshw.txt" was meant to open it its not working for me.

I read some thing online saying some systems files like fat don't let you install things 4g n higher it makes since to me I was able to install smaller things but not the 4g game.

I installed it my self after I heard it was able to run the one game I"m trying to install but no luck .... and for some reason it cant install a sabayon 32 bits on my laptop so i had to go with 64 bit.
maxlaw
Baby Hen

Postby mélodie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 20:38

maxlaw wrote:okay well I tried that on live system from live cd but it does not allow me to install any thing but i got it installed on my os but idk how to open it ,if "lshw > lshw.txt" was meant to open it its not working for me.

Hi,
Do no PANIC ! I said, don't panic ! :D

lshw > lxhw.txt

outputs the result from the lshw (list hardware) to a file which has for name lshw.txt.

Now you just have to look for this file, which is in the directory where you were located when typing in console.
Remember I told you to paste the content of the file to the forum between code tags ? If you re-read the preceeding post I wrote for you, you should understand better.

I read some thing online saying some systems files like fat don't let you install things 4g n higher it makes since to me I was able to install smaller things but not the 4g game.

Oh oh ! Did you install Sabayon Linux to a fat file system ? The recommended and most used format is ext4, and next will be btrfs.

.... and for some reason it cant install a sabayon 32 bits on my laptop so i had to go with 64 bit.

At that time had you checked the md5sum of the iso image you had used, and had you checked the md5sum of the CD you burned, provided you used a CD ?

What about posting the content of the lshw.txt file here now, and maybe the next suggest will be you re-install, but not before you reformat to a valid file system type. Here are howto's to see how to use Gparted:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
mélodie
Simple Hen

Postby maxlaw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 22:37

okay um I typed that but nothing happened( btw i forgot to say I installed ishw from package manger) so I looked around and found some thing called hardware lister so I clicked on it and it was called ishw but idk what to click on.
image hosting jpg

Idk if I have fat format I was just saying.

and idk how to check md5sum but the first few dvd burns were messed I notice they were 2.1 2.2 while the real file was 2.3 long so i used different ways to down load till they were 2.3 I made two 32 bit sabayon live cd downloaded from different torrent loads and still half way during the download when its doing the graphical install it stops ( used up like 10 dvds waste of money...).
maxlaw
Baby Hen

Postby mélodie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 23:28

maxlaw wrote:okay um I typed that but nothing happened( btw i forgot to say I installed ishw from package manger) so I looked around and found some thing called hardware lister so I clicked on it and it was called ishw but idk what to click on.
image hosting jpg

Idk if I have fat format I was just saying.

and idk how to check md5sum but the first few dvd burns were messed I notice they were 2.1 2.2 while the real file was 2.3 long so i used different ways to down load till they were 2.3 I made two 32 bit sabayon live cd downloaded from different torrent loads and still half way during the download when its doing the graphical install it stops ( used up like 10 dvds waste of money...).

Hi,
Sorry, you post too many questions at same time. And please don't use SMS style, all here are not English native. For myself, I am not English native, although I understand most of what you seem to say.

I suggest, either you try other easier distributions, or you start one thread in the newbie section with "how to check md5sum" ? and another one with "How to search the web" ? (no offense meant, I am very serious about that).
mélodie
Simple Hen

Postby maxlaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31

Normally I search the webs when I have a problem but sabayon english community is so small that google finds barly nothing what is the native languish used in sabayon?
maxlaw
Baby Hen

Postby mélodie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:47

Hi,

Let's try again. If you have typed or copied the command correctly, in a root console : lshw > lshw.txt then you must have generated a file having for name lshw.txt and containing the list of informations related to your hardware.

So will you please look for it, and copy the content here so we know what are the brands and model components that compose your computer, so to try to seek for what reason so much disk space is not seen ?

One more for the road, I would like you to also type as root in console the command "blkid" and bring back the full output of the console *with* the prompts, please. This way we will be sure on what partition type you have done your install.

PS: the tool is lshw, not ishw. l as in L (but low case). it lists the hardware.
mélodie
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion