A maintained package.use file

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

A maintained package.use file

Postby pirieianip » Sun Feb 12, 2012 23:11

I just had a thought, but install portato... as well as install what sabayon developers use for the use commands in a alternate package.use file... Just a thought though for emerging. I think that would be ubber cool... 8)
pirieianip
Baby Hen

Re: A maintained package.use file

Postby wolfden » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:48

I guess I don't follow, but you can change the use flags all ya want on your system, entropy doesn't use your use flags as it's use flags are all done on server when they made to binary.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby pirieianip » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11

A "/etc/portage/package.used" file that has a linked package on your end with all the flags that sabayon uses in its packages for the end product. Whenever you refresh portage, it refreshes that file. If there is declared package that you are installing in the "/etc/portage/package.use", it will take over its responsibility or trump the "package.used" file. This way you are basically mainstreaming how to use portage for those who don't know how to. Also, it should update the package.mask and all the other fun stuff that you use like etc-update. That way if you want to easily update your system in the compilation method and reap the slight benefit, you've got it without worrying. I just suggest alternate files for it that are trumped by the user file... for instance, the "package.use" file is the user file, the "package.used" file is the file that has the default use commands. For portage...
pirieianip
Baby Hen

Postby pirieianip » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53

So I've finally gotten my laptop installed with Sabayon on it and I am seeing what I can do to help with portage. Wish me luck!
pirieianip
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion