Sabayon = best desktop system

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon = best desktop system

Postby Remis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 17:20

Hi,

Iam really impressed, it is just perfect and a distribution which IS NOT made by brainless geeks only thinking of making the best under-the-hood stuff in the best way ending up in rewriting stuff all the time, because if you try to make something perfect you end up making some shit.

Other than that: Everything works, modern AND fast, everything perfect: Stable, works, nice themes, no verbose useless stuff.
The other OSes are great,too, just useless for desktop:
Debian: A distribtion without graphical wireless support even in the first DVD and CD should NOT be called desktop or universell distrubtion. Also, they have netinstall on the homepage instead of a KDE live CD. Users who need a netinstall know where to look for it, even if it is deep hidden, they WILL find it, despite to desktop users who don't know where to look for the desktop live cd with all the stuff. They just download what it shows on the homepage. There can be several downloadlinks, BUT IT HAS TO BE ON THE HP without hundred of clicks. It is that simple and the creators always do it wrong.
Fedora and many other "freedom" distrubutions : Don't even boot because of systemd or problems with the graphics card and missing binary stuff.
All others: Either perfect, but slow, or look like in the 90`

So maybe I will even donate :D
Remis
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon = best desktop system

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 18:15

Remis wrote:So maybe I will even donate :D

Fine words butter no parsnips. :wink:
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Remis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 19:18

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Remis wrote:So maybe I will even donate :D

Fine words butter no parsnips. :wink:

True. I won't donate! That is what you want to hear.

Next time when I have $ on my micromoney card. Tomorrow.. But I can only donate 15€ or so :oops:
Remis
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 19:30

Remis wrote:But I can only donate 15€ or so :oops:

Continuing with the theme of proverbs and sayings, there is a saying in Portuguese I like: "De grão em grão a galinha enche o papo" (grain by grain, the hen fills its crop). :wink:

By the way, welcome to SL (Sabayon Linux).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pepebotella » Thu Mar 01, 2012 16:13

Remis wrote:best desktop system

Hoooray! then why it is 21 today and lowering at distrowatch...

http://omploader.org/vY3dpcw/snapshot1.png
pepebotella
Simple Hen

Postby sabayonino » Thu Mar 01, 2012 18:07

pepebotella wrote:

:roll: ... click SL day by day and at the next week Sabayon Will Be of the top :mrgreen:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46

pepebotella wrote:

lol and take it off past 7 days

Anyway, Distrowatch is by no means a measurement of anything, the popularity thing been rigged through out history. Just say no to Distrowatch, it's just a show for entertainment value.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby chasha420 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 19:08

I tend to disagree...Sabayon is not only for desktop, but I run it full time @ my laptop. I've distro hopped like a rabbit countless times & still I have yet to find a distro that can match the stability & out of the box support of Sabayon.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Mar 05, 2012 21:17

at this point of writing, sabayon is on 13th place, and still rising. :-)
Distrowatch is just a place where all Distros come together,,
but not really intended for references. not reliable.....
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby davemc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 21:20

Remis wrote:Debian: A distribtion without graphical wireless support even in the first DVD and CD should NOT be called desktop or universell distrubtion. Also, they have netinstall on the homepage instead of a KDE live CD. Users who need a netinstall know where to look for it, even if it is deep hidden, they WILL find it, despite to desktop users who don't know where to look for the desktop live cd with all the stuff. They just download what it shows on the homepage. There can be several downloadlinks, BUT IT HAS TO BE ON THE HP without hundred of clicks. It is that simple and the creators always do it wrong.

Could not dissagree more with pretty much this entire post about Debian. Debian has an absolute place in the Linux world which can not be rivalled and in terms of stability it simply can not be matched by any other free Distro out in the wild today. Sure, you can go for CentOS, or Scientific Linux, but those also have some hefty limitations compared to the maturity of the Debian model. In short, if you want a stable Desktop that always works with no hassles after setting up your system once, you go for Debian Stable (Squeeze currently). If you want to play with the latest and greatest using a really innovative and sometimes stable approach but with far less packages in the Binary repo than Debian or Fedora AND the ability to play with source packages, then maybe Sabayon has a niche. Sort of, although most Linux users would probably dissagree there as well. So, where does Sabayon fit in to the overcrowded world of Linux Distro's? I have no idea but it is a fun distro when it works and I do appreciate everything Fabio has done. :P

PS.. Debian calls itself the "Universal OS" simply because it fully supports a huge array of infrastructures, including BSD. It's stable releases must support all of them and be free of all release critical bugs. It is a "release when ready" distro as opposed to the "release early, release often" model that Ubuntu and Fedora use, which is something that long time Linux users come to greatly appreciate. I guess it all comes down to wether or not you want stability over the "oohhh, shiny!!111!!" that bleeding edge Distro's like Sabayon offer at the cost of an unstable system that also tends to break frequently as a result of unstable code that has not yet been thoroughly vetted and integrated into the system as a whole to include all possible use cases.

Personally, I owe a lot to Fabio, Wolfden and crew (at the time) for helping me past the Linux learning curve. Sabayon was my very first adventure into the big bad world of Linux and it was an awesome Distro to cut my teeth on. Since then I moved on to Arch Linux, Fedora, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, CentOS, finally settling on Debian Stable, which is where my home is for my servers and primary workstations/desktops. However, I always have a "play" system with Sabayon on it and always will as a reminder to me of where it all started. Many thanks to you crazy guys/gals and I do hope Sabayon continues to lead the crowd when it comes to innovative new ways of doing things. This is what Sabayon does best IMO.
davemc
Sharecropper

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion