What have you done with The Gimp? [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

What have you done with The Gimp? [Solved]

Postby Arran. » Sun Feb 26, 2012 15:35

Who has decided to use an unstable developper version of Gimp? Gimp has a tactic that only even numbers are stable, eg. 2.6.7 is, 2.7.99 is not.

The versions 2.7.x are definitively not for general release, at the moment it is 2.6.12, released on the 01.02.2012!!! See Gimp.org This version includes some of the new features, but not too many, I do not know about the single windows (which I will anyway never use).

I do not think this was really a good idea, there are still quite a number of issues and I suggest to reverse that step as soon as possible. Or, perhaps, offer both versions at the same time.
Arran.
Young Hen

Re: What have you done with The Gimp?

Postby micia » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39

Hi,
Sabayon has a bleeding edge policy, so you will come into "officially unstable" software sometimes, this kind of software is included when it is found stable and it works with the rest of the system. That version of The Gimp is stable enough and got included in Sabayon.
Have you experienced any issue with that?
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Arran. » Tue Feb 28, 2012 0:10

Sorry, this is not right and nothing to do with bleeding edge. The newest and really «bleeding edge» Gimp is 2.6.12, dating from 02.02.2012!!! 2.7.3 (dating October or November 2011) is an equivalent to a Beta 1 in other larger applications. So no Gimp number with the middle number is an uneven number should have anything to do in any source. The giomp-Forum I participate is full of questions and we consequently tell people to delet the version faster than they installed it. According to the developpers, the final 2.8.0 will not look really like the 2.7.x versions. lets hope, the makers of Sabyyon understand this and take the 2.6.12 into the source.

The main change is the single windows feature, which especially people changing from photoshop or other commercial picture manipulating applications demant. And do you really think such novices are able to bring any support for the advancement of the Gimp? I do not, on the contrary, some have abandoned Gimp when we told them it is a Beta-Version.

Sorry, but as a heavy user of Gimp since about 10 years, I think this version in the repos is wrong, not only for Gimp but also for Sabayon.
Arran.
Young Hen

Postby sabayonino » Tue Feb 28, 2012 0:26

Arran. wrote:
Sorry, but as a heavy user of Gimp since about 10 years, I think this version in the repos is wrong, not only for Gimp but also for Sabayon.

Hi

If you have a problem with Gimp version in Sabayon repository , you can compile it by yourself

see http://gentoo-portage.com/media-gfx/gimp

and choose your favourite version :roll:

As you can see , 2.7.3 version is marked as "HArd Masked" in portage tree

[edit]

We released GIMP 2.7.4 with minor improvements and bugfixes. Most improvements are related to user interface and usability, see here for detailed list of changes. Depending on amount of bugs we get reports on this could be the last version before 2.8 release candidates and 2.8 itself.

2.6.x is current stable release
2.7.x series is consider "beta" or "rc" for the future 2.8.x series
2.8.x will be the next stable release...
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Arran. » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46

sabayonino wrote:If you have a problem with Gimp version in Sabayon repository , you can compile it by yourself

No way. Change of the Distro is more likely. Luckily Linux offers choice. :mrgreen:
Arran.
Young Hen

Postby micia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56

Arran. wrote:Sorry, this is not right and nothing to do with bleeding edge. The newest and really «bleeding edge» Gimp is 2.6.12, dating from 02.02.2012!!! 2.7.3 (dating October or November 2011) is an equivalent to a Beta 1 in other larger applications. So no Gimp number with the middle number is an uneven number should have anything to do in any source. The giomp-Forum I participate is full of questions and we consequently tell people to delet the version faster than they installed it. According to the developpers, the final 2.8.0 will not look really like the 2.7.x versions. lets hope, the makers of Sabyyon understand this and take the 2.6.12 into the source.

Being bleeding edge means being always up to date, even with betas, sometimes even with alpha releases, without being unstable.
Sabayon's policy is being always up to date if this doesn't involve losing stability or features.
That version of Gimp isn't known to show any instability and is working fine for any user I am aware of, as I said, has it shown any sign of instability or bug on your end?

Arran. wrote:The main change is the single windows feature, which especially people changing from photoshop or other commercial picture manipulating applications demant. And do you really think such novices are able to bring any support for the advancement of the Gimp? I do not, on the contrary, some have abandoned Gimp when we told them it is a Beta-Version.

I don't think Sabayon should care for The Gimp's advancement (which I think doesn't need any support from users, their developers are already doing an excellent job), I think Sabayon should care for its users comfort, and that feature has been highly demanded, probably even by The Gimp's users. Since this version brings this feature without any stability impact, why shouldn't Sabayon provide this?

As sabayonino said, you are free to compile the old version, it only takes one command.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:25

Hopefully the issues you are experceing will be helped by the upcoming version bump to 2.7.4.

Testing shows that this version is just as useable as 2.6...

Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby Arran. » Tue Feb 28, 2012 19:25

Well, that was it then. Sabayon goes off my machines. I can not work with a system that has Beta products but not the more advanced stable ones. And a suggestion to compile the newer version 2.6.12 is plainly stupid.
I know the Gimp situation, but how many other applications are here in the same way?

Good Buy all, and have a hopefully safe enough time.
Arran.
Young Hen

Postby sabayonino » Tue Feb 28, 2012 19:56

Arran. wrote:Well, that was it then. Sabayon goes off my machines. I can not work with a system that has Beta products but not the more advanced stable ones. And a suggestion to compile the newer version 2.6.12 is plainly stupid.
I know the Gimp situation, but how many other applications are here in the same way?

Good Buy all, and have a hopefully safe enough time.

You don't Know Sabayon . (or Rolling Release means)

If you want a "Stable" release/distro consider Debian or Gentoo-Stable and many others.

Bye.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Feb 28, 2012 23:35

I guess someone doesn't know what bleeding edge software is. One of the craziest discussions I have ever seen on the forum. Sabayon is ~x86 ~amd64 branch, which is not stable branch. Our wiki explains that or at least it use to. It's best to learn about a distro before going through all the work of downloading it and installing it. Learn the packages and learn the package manager before hand so you know what you are getting into and can avoid fits like this.

Bye! Bye!

Closing this nonsense now....
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Software in General