/etc/fstab problem

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

/etc/fstab problem

Postby Arran. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 18:18

deleted
Last edited by Arran. on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58, edited 2 times in total.
Arran.
Young Hen

Re: /etc/fstab problem

Postby batvink » Fri Feb 24, 2012 19:02

hi, arran.
Try this:
open your file manager as root, goto mountpoints,(or access mointpoints on terminal)
and change permissions to: user: (your username), group: root, or your user-groupname)
in terminal, as root:
Code: Select all
chown -R your-username:root (or your user-groupname) mountpoint

where "your-username" is your login name and "mountpoint" your mountpoint.
example:
chown -R arran:root /media/anwender

user: arran group:root
or:
chown -R arran:arran /media/anwender

user: arran group: arran
If that, some how doesn't work.,
alter your "/etc/fstab"
and change the opts to "defaults"
example:
UUID=01CB696A82142800  /media/anwender  ntfs-3g  defaults  0  0
UUID=3CE05DE8E05DA8C2  /media/audio  ntfs-3g  defaults  0  0
UUID=44882E8E882E7E94  /media/grafic  ntfs-3g  defaults  0  0
UUID=24C44438C4440E8C  /media/backup  ntfs-3g  defaults  0  0

Then, follow the above steps, again.
If it works good, you can also create your mountpoints for the other oses,
here's my fstab to compare, i have also other oses:
/dev/mapper/vg_bwginc-lv_root   /   reiserfs   defaults,notail   1 1
UUID=df1146ad-c5a8-41a3-a6b6-fd65e68aab58   /boot   ext4   defaults   1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_bwginc-lv_home   /home   reiserfs   defaults,notail   1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_bwginc-lv_swap   swap   swap   defaults   0 0
tmpfs        /dev/shm   tmpfs   defaults   0 0
devpts      /dev/pts     devpts gid=5,mode=620   0 0
sysfs        /sys            sysfs     defaults  0 0
proc         /proc          proc      defaults  0 0
tmp          /tmp          tmpfs    rw,mode=1777    0 0
vartmp     /var/tmp   tmpfs    rw,mode=1777    0 0
/dev/sda5     /media/server              ntfs-3g   defaults   0 0
/dev/sdc1     /media/Se7en               ntfs-3g   defaults   0 0
/dev/sdc2     /media/backup             ntfs-3g   defaults   0 0
/dev/sda1     /media/crunch-boot     ext2       defaults   0 0
/dev/sdc3     /media/crunch-home    ext4       defaults   0 0
/dev/sda3     /media/crunch-root      ext4       defaults   0 0
/dev/mapper/vg_bwginc-lv_storage   /media/backup/films2   reiserfs   defaults,notail   0 0
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby Arran. » Sun Feb 26, 2012 14:46

deleted
Last edited by Arran. on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:57, edited 1 time in total.
Arran.
Young Hen

Postby mélodie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 23:59

Hi,
If I may say a word here... The rights and permissions should not be changed in a filesystem under / because of an idea of acquiring some rights and priviledges : this is not the right way to do things because you may put the security of your system at risk *very badly*.

Another point on the use of the directories /media and /mnt : /media is the directory where the system automatically mounts filesystems, whereas /mnt is the directory where the user mounts filesystems.

If you wish to get partitions mounted at boot through fstab, you might want to create mount directories under /mnt. If you like also automatic mount on the fly, you could take advantage of the actual processes provided by gvfs, and the settings provided by polkit for the authentication.

So you will not need to use the fstab method.

A few pages with docs... Here fstab:
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

so you can mount from there with the relevant permissions to grant you access (and anybody else using your machine).

here udisk and polkit, with PCManFM (it is very likely to be the same methods for other file managers as well):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCManFM

for Nautilus, in gconf-editor I think I have seen some options... you may want to browse through the menus in there for some options (not sure on this one, anyhow it is always instructive).

Same as above with udisks/polkit, in French (if you don't understand it, check just the parts in code tags, or use translate.google... )
http://wiki.archlinux.fr/Policykit#Mont ... on_interne

The point in not using fstab, but rather prefer to use the polkit authentication methods is about the security. You could have set up one or several additional user accounts, then you will set up different rights for each one, in regard of internal - or external - drive mount access.

I hope this helps,
Mélodie
mélodie
Simple Hen

Postby Arran. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35

deleted
Arran.
Young Hen

Postby mélodie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 13:44

Arran. wrote:I had a severe problem by deleting by acciden the content of a whole Operating System (LinuxMint12 KDE) yesterday. My wife needs some of those documents quite urgently.

Hi Arran,
You might want to use RIP : Recovery Is Possible (also called rip linux). It can allow you to undo a partitioning. One little problem in the presentation of your issue : how did you delete the content of the OS ? If with another way than partitioning, you will need something different than RIP, such as Photorec, or Mondo Rescue ?

Never do that again ! You have to have backups of all personal datas - copies - on another media such as an external hard drive, or a usb stick before doing anything of importance on a hard drive !
I can give you more links if I know how you destroyed that system.

Regards,
Mélodie
mélodie
Simple Hen

Postby Arran. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 23:45

deleted
Arran.
Young Hen

Postby mélodie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 0:18

Arran. wrote:I usually do my back-ups
(...)
Still to do is a recovery of about 360 GB of graphics.

Hi,

Sorry, I thought you were a real newbie doing an ugly job while thinking you were doing the right way... /o\ (me hides).

What is power pack ? Is it a UPS item ? If not, wouldn't you consider buying something like that for your machines ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterru ... wer_supply

The annoyment with Photorec I think is that it does not recover the names of the files, is that right ?
(I don't break my datas too often and didn't test otherwise personnally).

I have also read about technics such as creating a clone of the damaged partitions, and afterwards work on copies of the clones. Example, you would get Clonezilla, install it as a bootable Live USB -- live usb is better than Live CD's, more reliable on the side of data transfer, imo -- then boot to Live USB, open a ssh tunnel to a remote machine (done that on a small netboot just newly bought, as a first recovery solution for the W7 which was in it, because I didn't want to pay an additional 50 or 60 euros for an external DVD writer). It was the first time I was doing that, I had no idea how it was going to look like, but I found it easy enough : all is written, the different ways and choices... and also, once, I had to restore from the copy and that went well too. The remove machine needs just one thing : a directory having for name "Parted" just right under /home. Or is is "parted" ? Anyhow you will see a message, the program looks for it.

Once you get the exact copy of the content, you can seek on the web ways to use it for recovery of the files. Clonezilla does an image which really looks like directories with compressed files in it.

However, we yound another way to restore her work and she hat to redo some of it.

So is her urgent work saved ?

Still to do is a recovery of about 360 GB of graphics.

:(

I still don't know what method you used to destroy the datas ? Can you give the information ? I think if you have just partitioned it, testdisk can recover it as it was before (testdisk is in RIP Linux, and in several valuable recovery distributions). It is also available for mostly all distros probably including Sabayon.

Here is a tutorial on how to use it:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Wishing you good luck,
Mélodie

PS : I have been in a US school during one year when I was a teenager, and I post regularly on forums in English since a few years, that helps, although I meet with ways of talking and new words mostly each day...
mélodie
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion