Problem with instalation sabayon 8

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Problem with instalation sabayon 8

Postby BHReach » Fri Feb 17, 2012 16:33

tomekwalowski wrote:now I see sabayon screen with install on hard drive, but after few seconds all system is/are suspended
This look like xserver is crashed..

What does this mean?

Does the screen turn Black?

Do the keyboard and mouse work?

Can you Ctl-Alt-F1 and get a console login screen?
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 19:57

I try describe everything: OK, I see sabayon screen with icons, and all.... but when I click install sabayon and I try Install, after language installation and keyboard language , I see next screen -When I want Install new sabayon or reinstall I cant move my mouse or change on keyboard. Not working !!!
Second option - If I choose console login and I wrote installer - I have this same after few seconds.
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Postby BHReach » Fri Feb 17, 2012 23:59

OK we are making progress.

It might be the problem occurs during hard disk setup. In earlier versions the Sabayon installer had problems when installing over an earlier version of Sabayon (SL 7 did not have the problem and I have not had any reason to reinstall SL 8 ). I found a work around was to partition the HD manually or wipe it clean (you don't want to do this if you have data on it you need) and then Sabayon had no trouble installing on it.

Since SL 8 boots to the desktop, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all
dmesg

Look through the output for any errors and be sure to pay close attention to whether Sabayon correctly identifies your hard drive.

Then as root run

fdisk -l

it will list all your drives and partitions reporting the file system on each partition.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby marmotta » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09

Hi to everyone,

this ist my first post in this forum and my first contact with Sabayon - so please be lenient.

I had a similar problem with my MSI Wind 100 Netbook. Booting Sabayon 8 from USB-Stick ends with freezing in a black screen. It was the same, when I tried to install. So I took Sabayon 7 and the installation was succesful. As described in the wiki, then I updated the packages with equo. After a looooong time (hey, it's a netbook) all packages were updated and I tried to change the kernel with the kernel-switcher. Switching to kernel 3.1.0 was no problem. But after switching to kernel 3.2.0 the problem comes up again: black screen and freezing.

Now I'm booting the 3.1.0 kernel and I'm looking to find out, if I'm going to use Sabayon further.
marmotta
Baby Hen

Postby BHReach » Sat Feb 18, 2012 15:56

I don't see anything strange about your disk drive.

sda1 and sda2 are Windows partitions so leave them alone. Delete Linux partitions sda3, sda4, sda5. Then reboot and try to install SL 8 and tell it to use the free space on sda.

The easiest way to delete partitions is with cfdisk. As root

cfdisk /dev/sda

All the partitions will be visible. Highlite them one by one, delete them and save the new partition table to the disk. Up Down arrow keys move between partitions and left right arrow keys move between functions at the bottom of the screen.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby BHReach » Sat Feb 18, 2012 16:19

marmotta wrote:Hi to everyone,

this ist my first post in this forum and my first contact with Sabayon - so please be lenient.

I had a similar problem with my MSI Wind 100 Netbook. Booting Sabayon 8 from USB-Stick ends with freezing in a black screen. It was the same, when I tried to install. So I took Sabayon 7 and the installation was succesful. As described in the wiki, then I updated the packages with equo. After a looooong time (hey, it's a netbook) all packages were updated and I tried to change the kernel with the kernel-switcher. Switching to kernel 3.1.0 was no problem. But after switching to kernel 3.2.0 the problem comes up again: black screen and freezing.

Now I'm booting the 3.1.0 kernel and I'm looking to find out, if I'm going to use Sabayon further.

Kernel issues are very hardware dependent. Sometimes loading modules that conflict with each other can crash the kernel. Since you have Sabayon installed, you can boot from the SL 7 install disk, mount your hard drive partitions and look in the dmesg log file and the system log file to if you can discover what caused the problem. This stuff can get pretty complicated and it may take a kernel expert to figure it out.

If SL used LVM, you have to active the lvm partitions before you mount them.

vgscan

will list the volume groups.

vgchange -ay <vg you want to active goes here>

then just mount it

mkdir /mnt/foo
mount /dev/vg_whatever /mnt/foo

Then you should be able to read the log files.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Sat Feb 18, 2012 16:41

I deleted my linux partition but it not working... I try install sabsayon linux but ... after few seconds my screen is frozen :(
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Postby BHReach » Sat Feb 18, 2012 17:44

tomekwalowski wrote:I deleted my linux partition but it not working... I try install sabsayon linux but ... after few seconds my screen is frozen :(

Try different iso's to see if any of them work.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Sat Feb 18, 2012 19:02

I have few iso, and problem exist/it takes for all.

I download from ftp: AUSTRALIA,GERMANY...
Now I try from Italy and Denmark ftp, but I think it is stupid .... :/ I`m very disappointed this edition of sabayon :(
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion