Problem with instalation sabayon 8

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with instalation sabayon 8

Postby tomekwalowski » Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:09

Hi, I have older laptop - Toshiba satellite s355-s7811 and I download new sabayon. I burn dvd and I try few times install on my laptop, but when I choose Start sabayon linux like live cd or sabayon linux installation program start but after few minutes I see only black screen. I think maybe is older bios version, but I upgrade bios and then still nothing happen. Maybe someone can help me? [SOLVED]
Last edited by tomekwalowski on Tue Mar 20, 2012 15:51, edited 4 times in total.
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Re: Problem with instalation sabayon 8

Postby manifesto » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14

I didnt install for a while (I just installed once years ago) but try without sound and change graphic mode from grub menu at startup.
manifesto
Growing Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 13:28

Still nothing happen. I try many times, and still black screen. Maybe I try install sabayon 7 and try upgrade one more time, and then something work. We will see.
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 16:35

To manifesto: how I Can change graphic mode in grub?. I try just run sabayon from dvd and I have black screen :/
I cant install, I cant run from dvd - anybody knows about it ?
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 18:26

Well, I spoke with guys on live chat and I try make bootable usb. And maybe this work. I try for few minutes.

Ok, I try install from usb stick, but I have only black screen when I try boot from it. :(
Any solution?
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Postby cl00t » Wed Feb 15, 2012 22:17

Hello, I tried to update an older laptop (4 yr old HP) at the weekend with Sabayon 8 KDE & got the black screen. Tried text install, graphic install etc, different boot options ... I did Alt - F1 to the terminal & ran installation (think the command was "installer" although I cannot be sure. Installation ran, it went as far as copying files & just stopped. Tried v7 KDE & it was a similar story. Tried openSUSE 12.1 & it installed 1st time in graphic mode. These were all 32bit DVDs.

I run 64bit v7 Sabayon KDE here updated to v8 on a new HP laptop & installation was a breeze. I cannot help you but you are not alone.

Shame I couldn't get Sabayon on my Mums laptop but openSUSE is a decent OS :-)
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby BHReach » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:58

It is not clear to me when the black screen appears?

Do you get the grub menu?

If so, which entry did you choose (live DVD, graphic installer, text installer, safe mode, etc)?

If you do not see the boot screen at all, your DVD drive might not be working.

If you get to see the grub boot screen, you can use the function keys to get help and see some cheat codes.

A black screen can mean some problem with the X server. If you can get it to boot to the command line, we can try to get the X server working from there.

Need more info from you to go further.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15

Well, I download sabayon from few mirrors, I thought maybe thats dvd misstakes but no. I have 4 sabayon from different source and nothing. I see grub menu, but when I choose (live dvd, graphic installer, text installer) I have black screen after few minutes. I try install from pendrive but its not solution - this same black screen :(
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Postby BHReach » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:54

When Sabayon 1st boots, you can see messages at the bottom of the screen.

Do you see something like Press Alt-F1 for details? Press and you get details.

Then black screen and message says Press F2 for details. Press and you get details. Then screen goes black for a few seconds and the desktop appears.

I may have a similar problem to yours, I have Sabayon 8 XFCE AMD 64 installed and every other time it won't boot. By that I mean, I reboot and get the grub screen, choose the default kernel and a black screen appears and it won't boot, push the reset button, get the grub menu, choose the default kernel and it boots normally, next reboot the black screen comes, push reset and it boots normally, etc.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby tomekwalowski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 15:05

Ok, I am step forward :) I run from pendrive like safe mode, and now I see sabayon screen with install on hard drive, but after few seconds all system is/are suspended :/ any solutions??? :) and this same problem I had when I I run text installation...

This look like xserver is crashed..
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion