Nvidia Resolution out of screen

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Nvidia Resolution out of screen

Postby dudumomo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 13:55

Hi there !

I've just installed Sabayon and my resolution doesn't seems to match the resolution of my TV connected with a HDMI cable, as a part of the screen is out of my TV.

I have a GTX 570 on a fresh install and this problem have always been here in fact. (With Ubuntu or Debian previously)

The native resolution detected by Nvidia Settings is 1920x1080 (Which is correct, also detected by my laptop with a HD3650 and no problem with this one)

If I change resolution to lower, still the same issue, a part is out of my Panasonic TV screen.
In fact, in server settings I have a DFP-1 menu with GPU Scaling Method at "Stretched". If I set "Centered", then I can see the full desktop. However, I'm loosing quite a lot of space as it centers the screen to a low resolution.

With my laptop, I don't have this problem with its ATI HD3650 (Resolution of 1440x900 Stretching to the full screen)

Any idea how to solve that?

Thank you !
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Re: Nvidia Resolution out of screen

Postby ReemZ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 19:07

I get that with my telly as well, but it's in the display settings of the telly: mine always sets itself to 'widescreen' and I have to manually reset that to 'exact scan'. Telly's a Toshiba 40XF351P btw, settings may be called differently from yours but I'd say play with the remote...
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:16

I actually thought the same, but with my other computer (ATI HD3650) I do not have this problem with my TV...
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:58

Great !! There is a Overscan settings to adjust the resolution to fit in the screen.
Works perfectly !!
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:04

dudumomo wrote:Great !! There is a Overscan settings to adjust the resolution to fit in the screen.
Works perfectly !!

w00t!
But...where? In nvidia-settings? On your telly?
Little more info for others that may come across this thread would be nice ;)
And please mark this as [Solved] as per Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read.
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36

Indeed, nvidia-settings has such option (under DFP)
However it is not persistent. After a reboot, the Overscan Compensation is not applied.
But funny, if I start nvidia-settings after the reboot, the Overscan Compensation applies...

Well, I need to find how to make it automatic

EDIT:
I guess I need to add the command nvidia-setting -l to load the configuration file at startup, but I'm very unfamiliar with Sabayon and Gnome 3, how to do that? (Kind of startup menu?)

Thank you !

EDIT2:
Found in gnome-session-properties, similar than Gnome2 then.
Takes more than 20s to start, but it works ! However the sound is not activated in this case...don't know why the sound doesn't work if I add nvidia-settings -l as startup app....
If I do it manually, no problem tho...

Any idea how to solve that?

Thank you !
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:08

You could check /var/log/messages for anything unusual, other than that I'm out of ideas, sorry.
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Return to Hardware