Problem after changing monitor

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Problem after changing monitor

Postby TommyWylie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:11

After installing Sabayon Linux and getting it working, I moved the computer to it's new location, with a shared monitor (17" CRT), keyboard and mouse all accessed through a Belkin Omni-View SE 4-Port switch. At the moment this is shared with a Windows 2000 PC, but other computers are to be added.

The problem is that when Sabayon starts to boot, it only gets so far then the video output breaks up and becomes unusable. Strangely, the initial boot screen shows up fine, but within a few seconds it goes completely out of sync with the monitor. Is there a way I can boot it in VGA mode to try and sort the problem? How would I get Sabayon to detect and install my CRT monitor?

Also does anyone know if there are any known issues when using Sabayon in connection with a KVM switch such as the Belkin series?
TommyWylie
Baby Hen

Re: Problem after changing monitor

Postby TommyWylie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 13:26

Since my previous entry, I have replaced the large CRT monitor with the same TFT monitor I installed Sabayon with, connecting it now through the 4 port KVM switch. Despite using this monitor, the Sabayon PC will now only boot to a certain point and then my monitor says "VGA mode not support". If I try booting the Sabayon DVD it does the same. Near the end of booting the Linux kernel the video signal goes off or becomes unusable.

I had Sabayon up and running with this monitor last night, and the only difference now is the Belkin Omni-View switch between the PC and the monitor. My Windows 2000 PC is fed through this same switch and works perfectly.
TommyWylie
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion