Running an executable??

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Running an executable??

Postby LOUDlife » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10

So I just downloaded Heroes of Newearth and installed the .sh file fine. Now, I have a few files that are executable (including permissions), but for whatever reason I cannot get them to run. I have tried ./filename and this is what I get. Obviously, clicking does not runt he program either smh

warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
Crash log saved as '/root/.Heroes of Newerth/game/crash_2.5.0.0_00.log'
Segmentation fault

Yes, it says root, I tried as a my regular user account as well and got the same message.
I am a new guy when it comes to this Linux stuff, not really sure what to do here. Any and all help is welcomed.

Sidenote- I am dual-booting with Win7, so I don't actually need to run this on Sabayon, but I play League of Legends (along with many other games) on Win7 already, thought it would be cool to have this one on Linux.
LOUDlife
Baby Hen

Re: Running an executable??

Postby convict » Thu Jan 19, 2012 20:38

Generally, dont run things as root. Especially when it's just a game. That's a no no.

Your error has to do with the game. Add this to ~/.Heroes of Newerth/game/startup.cfg :

Code: Select all
SetSave "vid_bpp" "32"
SetSave "vid_refreshRate" "60"
SetSave "vid_resolution" "1920,1080"

Make sure to set vid_resolution as your actual resolution and it should work.
convict
Baby Hen

Postby gamjaevel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:30

Hmm, weird that it crashes. Never experienced any problems with it. But I've only installed it from rightclicking the .sh file and adding the executable check, and then just doubleclick the file. Never heard of a problem with it before
gamjaevel
Simple Hen

Postby LOUDlife » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:02

I really appreciate the help folks, wish there was a way for me to +1 ur posts or somethin.
LOUDlife
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General