Advice for Installing Sabayon 7 alla USB Drive [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Advice for Installing Sabayon 7 alla USB Drive [Solved]

Postby down8ve » Mon Jan 16, 2012 22:22

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for making this wonderful OS available to everyday users like myself. I'm no linux expert, but simply use it to get things done. Your hard work is really appreciated by many of us you may never hear from.

My question has to do with installing Sabayon 7 (x64) via a USB stick. if I'm not mistaken, since Unetbootin only lists versions 5.1 and 5.2_x64, that means I must use the second option, the Diskimage selection/ISO option for Sabayon 7.

Are there any surprises I should be aware of before attempting this? I have searched for a while and found many technical articles about installing S7 to a USB drive, but all I want to do is install the live image to a USB stick since my computer is without a DVD drive at the moment.

Thanks!
Last edited by down8ve on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36, edited 1 time in total.
down8ve
Simple Hen

Re: Advice for Installing Sabayon 7 alla USB Drive

Postby ReemZ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 22:37

down8ve wrote:if I'm not mistaken, since Unetbootin only lists versions 5.1 and 5.2_x64, that means I must use the second option, the Diskimage selection/ISO option for Sabayon 7.

Correct.

down8ve wrote:Are there any surprises I should be aware of before attempting this? I have searched for a while and found many technical articles about installing S7 to a USB drive, but all I want to do is install the live image to a USB stick since my computer is without a DVD drive at the moment.

Thanks!

Nah, just make sure you md5sum the downloaded iso before slapping it onto your stick.
Only thing I've seen is that halfway through the process it looks like it's frozen, this isn't the case though so just be patient and let Unetbootin do its dance.
Enjoy!
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby micia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52

Or, you can download your iso, check it with md5sum and use the good old dd to put it in your flash drive, like this, assuming that /dev/sdb is your flash drive and that it has no useful and important data, if not, change that device accordingly:
(as root)
Code: Select all
dd if=/path/to/your/sabayon.iso of=/dev/sdb

change /path/to/your/sabayon.iso and /dev/sdb to the appropriate path and to the appropriate USB device.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby down8ve » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35

Got a tip for some trouble I had. Unetbootin would boot the menu, show the initial stages of starting Sabayon 7, but then threw up problems like:
"could not get boot entry"
"Media not found"
"could not find the root block device"

I fixed it by plugging my USB stick into a "true" USB 2.0/1.1 port. The USB 3.0 ports do not work for this.

I'm using a Gigabyte A75M-UD2H board with a AMD A8 3870 Black Edition APU and OCZ SSD drive.

Thanks!
down8ve
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion