Can I safely skip updates? [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Can I safely skip updates? [Solved]

Postby eugy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24

Hi, I'm new to Sabayon, but it looks great, 'cause it solved on the fly issues with Raid 5 Disk 3TB and graphical Card ATI.

I've choosen Sabayon 7 amd 64, gnome. Installed, all went ok, so I decided to look updates, but I've DELETED some packets and things I think I don't need, like orca, caribou, NVIDIA drivers x11 (I've got a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6850)... All via Entropy

Big mistake, isn't it?

I've mounted in a few seconds my Raid disks, and rebooted :cry:

Login mask was changed to (KDE?? Is it possible??)[there was a logo like a "K" on the right side] and user/pwd didn't worked
CTRL-ALT-F1 worked, but... no Network, startx didn't work... and so on, gcc was updated and active, olther hints in this forum didn't helped me...
anyway... was a fresh one, so I wiped out all and re-install.

My 1st question is: MAY I skip, and MAY I REMOVE things that I don't need??
(Drivers Nvidia X11?? Orca?? caribou??) I've no problems with disk space, but they are 3 gigs of updates...

Thank you in advance ...
Last edited by eugy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:00, edited 3 times in total.
Baby Hen

Re: Can I safely skip updates?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:28

A generic answer is yes, it's safe to skip updates if your system is working perfectly and as you want it. However, you may miss critical security updates and may find that you want to install a programme in the future that has updated dependencies.
As far as removing unwanted software is concerned it's not possible to say yes or no because it depends entirely on what you want to remove. I don't often remove stuff but, when I do, I make a note of what I've removed so I can reinstall via the command line if necessary. I also use the
Code: Select all
command or the
Code: Select all
command (to see exactly what will be removed).
Sorry there isn't an easy answer.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
Sagely Hen

Postby eugy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10

Thank you,

let me make a more exact question: can I WIPE AWAY these:

If I've understood, these are the video drivers for cards I NEVER install onto my system.

Yes, this is not a very important question, I know I could install all, because 3 GB in a partition of 170 GB is nothing, but it's just for better understanding this new operating system :mrgreen:

Thank you all for any information ...
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 15:53

Yes you can if you use the command options listed by dunsurfin.

If you don't want to install those packages in future, you can mask them; see the SL Wiki for details: Masking and Unmasking Packages in Entropy
Sagely Hen

Postby eugy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 0:57

HUU... I don't like the new interface... aaarghh... :?: :alien:

Anyway, it seems to me there are no errors, this time, no error but ONE: I've killed wireless drivers, and my network card is NOT working, other things are working fine, I don't think I'd have problems, to get network working again, so this thread maybe is solved :mrgreen:

Cheers to all, eventually I'll post again, other sections ...
Baby Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers