Gnome 3 shell extensions

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Gnome 3 shell extensions

Postby supergoo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 22:33

I am a fan of Sabayon but not so much of the stock Gnome Shell, I been looking for ways to give me back some features , I wanted and I miss from Gnome2. I found the ones that Linux Mint are working on, look pretty good. I installed them and they work pretty well. I thought I would share them with anybody who was interested in them.

Baby Hen

Re: Gnome 3 shell extensions

Postby chasha420 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55

Don't wanna be offensive to anybody...but I've personally tried Linux Mint a few days was so unstable used to crash randomly & used a lot of resources all of a sudden even when my laptop was idle..and I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

So I finally decided to throw that away & get back to Sabayon. From my experience...which is about years of distro hopping experience...nothing beats Sabayon, it's simply fast, stable & reliable...and that's exactly what I need! 8)
Technological Hen

Postby cmost » Thu Dec 08, 2011 0:30

I tend to agree with chasha420's analysis. I used to be a Mint user until a few years ago. I gave the new Linux Mint 12.0 a spin in VirtualBox and after a week or so of hard core use I found it to be a resource hog compared to KDE 4.7. I also found the MGSE to be incomplete and a little rough around the edges. While I fully expect the Mint team to polish it's implementation of Gnome 3.x to a high degree, sadly, it's just not ready yet. And it's not Mint's fault, that lies squarely with the Gnome developers who have apparently decided that its users don't actually use their computers for real work or what its members think doesn't matter. I did find the MATE interface to be highly useable, especially after the Mint Team issued the themes patch the other day. My advice to Gnome users who are scrambling for a safe harbor is to try XFCE, give MATE a serious look or try KDE (if they're desperate - I know a lot of hardcore Gnome users wouldn't touch KDE even it it were the last desktop on earth...) Personally, I find KDE to be perfect!! :lol:
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
Advanced Hen

Postby DeadlyWolf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:31

This site makes installing extensions easy :D
Linux User #521458.
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion