console boot: need to run startx TWICE to get E17? [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: console boot: now need to run startx TWICE to get E17?

Postby joe3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58

BHReach wrote:There is a way to load modules using /etc/modprobe.d, I don't recall the details but this message thread discusses your problem:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-895556-start-0.html

Seems like it's supposedly a two part process:

(1)put a file in /etc.modprobe.d named radeon.conf containing:
options radeon modeset=1

(2)add modules="radeon" to /etc/conf.d/modules

I note there existed a modules="fbcon" line there.
When I tried simply adding a separate line with modules="radeon" leaving both lines intact, the only thing that seemed to change was that when the startup messages said that consolefont failed to start, I noticed another error line just before it "putfont: KDFONTOP: Invalid argument"
Which error I also saw if I tried to use setfont prior to the first startx command... ??

Will try again without the fbcon line. A little lator... My lady is calling for some attention right now... bye
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: console boot: now need to run startx TWICE to get E17?

Postby joe3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:52

OK so that did make a difference... In my case it was a 3 step process. {though it's possible that only one or two of them were necessary)...

(1)put a file in /etc.modprobe.d named radeon.conf containing:
options radeon modeset=1

*But it's possible that once step 3 is in place, having "radeon.modeset=1" in the kernel's command line options (grub) might have worked after all

(2)add modules="radeon" to /etc/conf.d/modules
* though for all I know it might have been pulled in automatically because of step 1 {or the grub equivalent) if only I'd already done step 3... (it used to work until recently with only the grub option...)

(3)When I took the line:
modules="fbcon"
OUT of my /etc/conf.d/modules file, it suddenly started working properly...

That is both, setting the font with consolefont, & startx working the first time I call it...
It looks to me like the fbcon module must have been interfering somehow.

I don't know why, however, the focus no longer automatically returns to tty1 after it displays the "initializing the kernel {spash?} screen... But I can deal with having to use an <alt>+<Fkey> binding to pull up the first console login screen.

So from my point of view, I'll be marking this one as solved...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion