Interactive boot [WorkAround]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Interactive boot [WorkAround]

Postby Gordon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 20:30

I have absolutely no clue why this happened, but after running the updates this week (somewhere around 140 packages or so) the boot process stalls and I have to go back to console 1 to press enter after every given "[ok]". And when the screen switches to console 7 I have to revert to console 1 and do the press enter after "[ok]" several times more until it displays a login prompt. After that I can switch to console 7 and use the system normally. If I logon to any text console the password field echos my password :evil:

Any ideas how to fix this? I already did an 'equo upgrade --replay'.
Last edited by Gordon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon
Simple Hen

Re: Interactive boot

Postby BlackNoxis » Sat Nov 26, 2011 21:51

There are a multitude of problems. I will try to ask you a few things before : can you tell me what process actually boots wrong there just by looking with Alt + F1 ? The boot process can be watched easily by pressing Alt F1 in the same time with the boot process. If your problem is what I believe it is, then your new kernel screwed your graphical driver, so you must install the graphical driver after you upgrade kernel. OR, you've done those updates and didn't run : equo conf update (from the console / terminal) as the entropy updates suggested.
Bring me more details on how your boot process works, tell me what processes fail to boot, please :D
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby raman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:21

Give some logs plz :)
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby Gordon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:29

Well, actually I reverted back to the 3.0.0 kernel because the vmware 7 modules won't build with the 3.1.0 kernel. No change... Also, I'm not seeing anything failing at boot time - I just have to press enter (or possibly the infamous any key, because switching console also works) after every successful load.

How would that relate to the video driver? Graphical mode runs just fine after this :scratch:
Gordon
Simple Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Mon Nov 28, 2011 14:27

Hmmpf, so same problem occurs ? Maybe it's the a bash problem, if I would have a screenshot / real life photo of that, it would be easier to solve it :D
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby Gordon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 19:55

Don't know if it's any help. but I checked the logs. Nothing specific in dmesg, but boot.log shows me a ^M at every line ending. Whether that is because I'm hitting Enter to make it go further - I don't think these symbols should be in there?
Gordon
Simple Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Nov 30, 2011 0:06

Hmm... I would suggest you one thing, reinstall the bash or some consoles over there and tell me if it's different with that. Oh, and I suggest you run a : equo deptest && equo libtest and after that a fix_libtool_sh 4.6 && lafilefixer --justfixit && equo conf update. (Bringing in the cannons, heh :D )
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby Gordon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 13:24

Found it (and fixed it)

None of the suggested actions - I guess that would have been weird also because I already did a full replay. While booting I noticed that the last thing loading without user interaction was a process that was unknown to me. The process is called plymouth and it provides the graphical boot animation.

From the ReadMe
Known issues

All following problems should be solved when Plymouth is finally integrated with OpenRC.
  1. Because Plymouth is taking over the control of tty1 it might mess it up. Although they should no longer occur with 0.8.3-r3.
    • Line endings might be messed up.
    • Password typed in tty1 might be not hidden. Switch to another tty to login.
  2. Plymouth turns on OpenRC's interactive mode. The workaround is to disable it permanently in /etc/rc.conf.
  3. Splash might freeze on some stages and not respond immediately.

So the fix is to go into /etc/rc/conf and change `rc_interactive="YES"` to `rc_interactive="NO"`, which of course means that if something else goes wrong I can no longer break into the system at an early stage and skip or solve it.
Gordon
Simple Hen

Re: Interactive boot [WorkAround]

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Nov 30, 2011 18:04

Perfect ! Good job, I would've done the same thing after some other tests :) Put this Bug and your workaround on the Bug Report from the main site https://bugs.sabayon.org/ , wait and watch :D
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion