How Do You Limit Upgrades To Security And Bug Fixes?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

How Do You Limit Upgrades To Security And Bug Fixes?

Postby BHReach » Sun Nov 20, 2011 16:34

I installed Sabayon 7 (KDE x86) on my test box and I have to say this was the easiest and best installation yet. Both Graphical and Text installers worked (1st time that happened) and all my hardware was detected and operational. It required very little effort on my part.

After upgrading the kernel, X stopped working and my USB wifi adapter stopped working, in fact the Network Manager icon on the taskbar disappeared. I had to reinstall to fix the problem.

I would like to know how to limit upgrades to security and bug fixes.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Re: How Do You Limit Upgrades To Security And Bug Fixes?

Postby genfool » Sun Nov 20, 2011 17:22

how did you update the kernel? You should use kernel-switcher, it will update all your drivers for you.
Code: Select all
kernel-switcher --help

you see it is a very simple tool to use.
kernel-switcher list

You see all the available kernels you can install, pick the one you want.
kernel-switcher switch <yourchosenkernel>

Let it run and enjoy.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby BHReach » Sun Nov 20, 2011 21:27

genfool wrote:how did you update the kernel? You should use kernel-switcher, it will update all your drivers for you.

I did not use kernel-switcher, I did not know it existed. I was just playing around when I upgraded the kernel. I had never done it on Sabayon before.

With the new kernel, X and my wifi adapter did not work. When I reverted to the original kernel, X worked but the wifi adapter did not, the network manager applet had disappeared.

This experience reminded me of the kind of hardware problems upgrading a kernel can sometimes create.
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Nov 20, 2011 22:07

simply have to love kernel-switcher upgrade your kernel, your drivers and serves cold refreshments while it updates grub ... :lol:
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby BHReach » Tue Nov 22, 2011 0:53

genfool wrote:simply have to love kernel-switcher upgrade your kernel, your drivers and serves cold refreshments while it updates grub ... :lol:

Reinstalled Sabayon 7 from scratch.

When I installed virtualBox, it installed a newer kernel, sabayon-3.1-r1. When it finished, I used kernel-switcher just to be sure everything was done correctly. After rebooting, it didn't work! No X server, missing nvidia driver.

After some research to figure out what to install, I manually installed nvidia-drivers-285.05.09:0,3.1.0 and nvidia-userspace-285.05.09

Don't know if it was necessary to reinstall userspace but reinstalling can't hurt.

equo install --ask nvidia-drivers-285.05.09:0,3.1.0 nvidia-userspace-285.05.09

reboot

kdm comes up but kde won't launch, icewm and twm both work fine.

Found this error in .xsession-errors:

Cannot load library /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so: (/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstreamanalyzer.so.0))

More research and the solution is

gcc-config 4.6.2
source /etc/profile (or logout and log back in)

KDE works again.

kernel-switcher was not very helpful. :cry:
BHReach
Growing Hen

Postby raman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:03

The kernel-switcher is working ok. Sometimes new drivers are not working ok with specific graph card, but it's not Sab fault.
kernel-switcher is probing drivers fron old installed kernel and install new version of this drivers for new kernel.

Kenrel-switcher is helping a lot and for me is working with no problems so far, but I always check if everything is ok by eselect opengl list and eselect kernel list.

Was your good idea to check gcc-config. I always checked if is set ok after gcc upgrade.
raman
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion