[Closed] Compiz again Sorry

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

[Closed] Compiz again Sorry

Postby jk121960 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:57

Hi, I am new Sabayon, I have been using Debian,Arch but I was always impressed with Gentoo. So I was interested in Sabayon because of that. I wasn't able to get 6 to install but 7 went in no problem. I am using KDE, I installed compiz but I can't get it to function, I have used it in all my distro's. I have a Gigabyte Core2 quad mobo, Nvidia 9800 gt,8GIGs of ram. Now the only thing I noticed is that I cant find the fusion icon in the respository. I have installed all other related compiz packages. On arch i know that the icon was installed and I was able to configure it no problem, on debian I used the gtk-window-decorator on Arch the kde4-window-decorator. I tried to use Kwin the same way as Kde4 on Arch but it is not functioning. If I trigger compiz --replace, I loose the window title bars. I tried putting the Kwin --replace in the ccsm Window decorations where I put Kde4-window-recorator in Arch but no-good. Is there a start to finsh 'Sabayon Guide' that applies to this version of KDE with Kwin? And do I need the fusion icon. I would like this to work the bleeding edge versions of these packages are very cool .

Any help is appreciated

thanks

--jerry
Last edited by jk121960 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
jk121960
Young Hen

Re: Compiz again Sorry

Postby chayclon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:15

Install x11-apps/fusion-icon-0.1-r1 and x11-wm/emerald-0.8.4-r2 :wink:
chayclon
Growing Hen

Postby batvink » Sun Nov 20, 2011 13:44

jk121960 wrote: If I trigger compiz --replace, I loose the window title bars.

maybe because Emerald is not installed?

As root:
Code: Select all
equo search fusion-icon

is telling me that it's just sitting there in the repo., waiting to get installed.
(in my case, it is...)
sabayon aposteeltje # equo search fusion-icon
>>  @@ Bezig met zoeken...
>>      @@ Pakket: x11-apps/fusion-icon-0.1-r1 branche: 5, [sabayonlinux.org]
>>         Beschikbaar:     versie: 0.1-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Herziening: 4
>>         Geinstalleerd:   versie: 0.1-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Herziening: 4
>>         Slot:            0
>>         Website:         http://compiz-fusion.org
>>         Omschrijving:    Compiz Fusion Tray Icon and Manager
>>         Licentie:        GPL-2
>>  Keywords:  fusion-icon
>>  Gevonden:  1 overeenkomsten
sabayon aposteeltje #

would updating your repository be a idea?
again, as root:
equo update

and then:
equo install x11-apps/fusion-icon-0.1-r1

you try that, and if it fails, please paste the output of your terminal here.....
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby jk121960 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:51

Hi and thanks, I think my first problem is that I was using entropy, sometimes and it might be me but I don't find stuff in there I know should be there. I didn't know your command line yet, I figured I would learn as I go (obvious mistake). So I take it that equo is similar or is a wrapper to emerge? In any event I got it going but the decorator looks different here then in Debian or Arch, even when I select the same one as in the gtk decorator but that a not a big deal.

Thanks again for all your help

--jerry
jk121960
Young Hen

Postby batvink » Sun Nov 20, 2011 21:03

Entropy (equo) is the default package manager for Sabayon, it downloads precompiled binaries from the repository, and installs them. U cannot add USE flags.

Portage (emerge) downloads tar balls, compiles them, and finally installs on your system.
With Portage, u can add the USE flags where Gentoo is famous of.

you can read it in the Sabayon-wiki:
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01

please mark your post as [Solved]
you can read how and why, here:
https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=17059
Thank you, and welcome to the Sabayon Community.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby jk121960 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21

Begging your indulgence, one more question. I noticed that the kde4-window-decorator is not included with this compiz. This allows the use of the KDE decorators, is this no longer available as of this version? I know when I install on arch I choose a compiz-kde based install or a gtk-based install. Is this just the gtk based because the decorator that is there only the gtk. If so is there away to specify to install the kde4 decorator? Also thanks for the clarification on the differences, the use_flags would seem to relate to this.

Thanks for your help and timely responses. I would be happy to mark this solved after this question.

--jerry
jk121960
Young Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:55

as far as i know, you can select it when right-clicking the fusion-icon in the systray.
right-click --> select window decorator.
you can choose emerald or GTK
and then, in KDE system-settings you can select the decorator you want.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby jk121960 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 15:14

Thanks again for replying but if you are not using the KDE window decorator then the settings in the KDE Window decorations will not be applied. Well you apply them they just don't show. Now in arch kde4-window-decorator is a choice, this I am assuming is installed when you select KDE as the compiz type. I think this has something to do with the USE_Flags in gentoo, in Arch you actually select a compiz-gtk or compiz-kde or compiz all, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co ... mmunity.5D,
this links shows this, what I think is happening is that the install, just installs the gtk version and you install emerald if you dont want that. IN Arch and debian both I have the option of 'gtk-window-decorator --replace' or 'kde4-window-decorator --replace' commands. So if you do select KDE you can keep the normal kde look that you use for the compiz experience, I even still have the glow around the in focus apps. Strangely I did try the gtk version here like I do on Debian but it doesn't look the same at ll, I suspect this has to do with the version of gnome currently available. Debian stable isn't using Gnome 3 yet. I hope there is someway to restore this ability, the gtk does't look right and the kde one isn't there.

Thanks for all your effort with this.

--jerry
jk121960
Young Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Nov 21, 2011 15:47

Well, i don't know about that. if that has anything to do with Gnome.

jk121960 wrote: I even still have the glow around the in focus apps.

in the KDE system-settings., in the second collumn,(next to KDE-Desktop effects ) you can change the looks of your workspace. if you click that, you can select window decorations, and desktop theme. one of them is oxygen, that is causing that glow.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers