Another Sabayon upgrade mess...

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Another Sabayon upgrade mess...

Postby batvink » Sun Nov 20, 2011 16:15

yes, Sisko43. I know what you mean.
Although i love Sabayon very much, it's kinda "painful" to tell other people NOT to install Sabayon, because of the issues it currently has.
But for the new users who already run Sabayon, and want to stick with it, give it another try, whatever,
i sadly enough would advise to please be patience, and first look at the forum, before updating the system.

I know that Sabayon is a good system, i have patience, and i give them a chance to straighten up their mistakes.
So i stick with Sabayon for now.
Hopefully they read all these complains on the forum, and let it be a warning, that if they continue like this, they're loosing users/supporters....
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby Sisko43 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 21:03

Well said. There is nothing more to add! My concern for this distro driving away from the stable path was the motivation to start this thread.
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Nov 20, 2011 22:39

This issue has been addressed in the public dev ml, you are welcome to join and give your two cents.
Even though they addressed this issue weeks ago, is a fail on last update...
They simply failed to follow their own rules they recently set, or it simply does not matter... was a fail.

I have known several of the devs as internet friends for a few years, sabayon was my first linux distro, been using it as main distro every since.
Fabio was 17 years old when he first created sabayon, not so many years ago.
joost is awesome, enlink, thevoodoo I cant possibly thank everyone that contributes to sabayon ... As an old fart... sometimes I just want to slap the kids and tell them to wake up.
Sabayon rocks, sometimes you can not see the tree because the Forrest is in the way.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby greendave8 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 23:40

Genfool,

You got it 1000% right. Sabayon does rock, and I am happy that the failure, has been very quickly fixed. :D :D :D

gd8
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08

that's true.
So Fabio was 17 when he created Sabayon? WAUW!!! that's awesome.
When i was at that age, i did a little programming on a Amiga with the automatic proofreader.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby lxnay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:23

Sisko43,
why are you blaming us for upstream bugs?
XBMC was broken due to an old, yet unresolved upstream bug (now fixed again in our repos)
Firefox, LibreOffice, Chromium are all working good for everybody here (maybe your gcc profile didn't get updated? Did you run ALL the updates as of today? It doesn't seem so).

Most of the time it's just the user not READING equo/sulfur output at all, we ain't Windows.

genfool,
stop writing FUD, you really have no clue at all.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby lxnay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:27

batvink wrote:I was also allready searching for a more stable system.
Mageia, Toorox, mint-12..... (they're running in virtalbox for testing...)
but hey, everybody makes mistakes. Even Sabayon.
You can say what you want, Sabayon IS a good Linux Distro.
but hopefully the Sabayon develop team learns of their mistakes,
so for now, i stick with Sabayon., and see what it does....

There is no mistake here, just upstream not fixing their own bugs...
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby raman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:36

lxnay wrote:Sisko43,
why are you blaming us for upstream bugs?
XBMC was broken due to an old, yet unresolved upstream bug (now fixed again in our repos)
Firefox, LibreOffice, Chromium are all working good for everybody here (maybe your gcc profile didn't get updated? Did you run ALL the updates as of today? It doesn't seem so).

Most of the time it's just the user not READING equo/sulfur output at all, we ain't Windows.

genfool,
stop writing FUD, you really have no clue at all.

I didn't have any problems what did you all have. My browser is working ok, the same video player. Like lxnay write maybe you didn't change gcc?
#gcc-config -l

I change myself for new one. The same python
#eselect python list
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54

Some advices for you Sisko43 :

1) Firstly understand the individualist theory : I, as a human, must solve my own problems in any ways possible and must learn everything that is at hand to solve them in the right, objective (straight to the point) and justfully way possible. What you've wrote up there was a total subjective ordering of ideas and problems, I didn't see no details of WHAT could POSSIBLY went wrong with your updates.

2) Sabayon includes Gentoo-OS. Starting with this basis and judging by the individualist theory (AGAIN), your interest for knowledge is at the lowest grade possible. Then I ask again : how could you possibly have no problems with Gentoo-OS and could have problems with Sabayon when you already have a Gentoo-OS in your Sabayon system ?

3) Judging by 1) and 2) basis, I will put again another question : those packages you had problem with, they work on Gentoo ? If yes, why didn't you emerge them to see if they work (if you say you're on and know Gentoo) ? The logical fact says that if they work on Gentoo, they should work on Gentoo binaries, and guess where all Gentoo binaries go ? Right, Sabayon.

As a conclusion, I cannot imagine you using Gentoo, you don't seem to know a lot of docs about Gentoo, if you knew some Gentoo, then Sabayon broken packages would be just a "what's with this ant ?" question. If you were a true Sabayon user, then you would've debugged them, see what could possibly go wrong, and feedback a.s.a.p. to Fabio or the devs. And as Raman said, those are not Sabayon-made packages, guilt is not Sabayon's. I resume myself to darthlukan 's theory about this. The things I say here, I hope you won't take them personally, it's just user-to-user reply, but I really hope you will learn more in the future about Linux system, you don't seem to shine, and definitely Sabayon nor Gentoo don't seem to be for you.

Good luck and sincerely thoughts, Steven
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby raman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 13:15

raman
Advanced Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion