Firefox 8 [Opinions]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Firefox 8 [Opinions]

Postby chasha420 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:49

Hi guys, I was just wondering as to when will the latest version of Firefox be available in the repository? I'm really looking forward to trying it out & as far as my experience with the one out for Windows...it seems to be pretty lightweight & the performance is slightly 1/10th a second slower than Chromium which I think is still quite impressive for a browser like Firefox.

Also I understand that Firefox 8 has just been released a few days back & it may take some time to get it in Entropy depending on whether it's available on portage or not.

But I made this thread for the sake of discussing on what you guys think about the new improvements in Firefox? Would you switch back to Firefox if you were a Chrome user now that the performance issues are fixed?

Thanks..
chasha420
Technological Hen

Re: Firefox 8 [Opinions]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 13:18

Firefox 8 definitely feels faster than Firefox 7. I'm using it since today in Linux (it's now in Portage), and since a couple of days ago on one of my machines running Vista. I can't see any other Earth-shattering changes so far, but Firefox 8 is working fine in both OSs.

By the way, the AVG Free anti-virus checker on my Vista machine occasionally used to pop-up a warning message that the memory use of Firefox 7 had crept up to a threshold value, and recommended that I should restart Firefox 7 to reclaim some RAM. It'll be interesting to see if I still get those messages now that I'm using Firefox 8 on that machine.

EDIT: For KDE users of Firefox, a new version of the Oxygen KDE add-on has been released for Firefox 8. It makes Firefox look even more like a native KDE application than the KDE oxygen-gtk theme.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sabayonino » Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:13

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Richlion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:29

a new version of the Oxygen KDE add-on has been released for Firefox 8

I wish to try it our, how can it be installed? When I scroll down to Oxygen KDE for Firefox and click the page is "under construction".

As for what's better, Firefox or Chrmium, Firefox is always my first choice, it may not be the fastest, but I prefer the way the menu and bookmarks are organized. Chromium doesn't appeal to me at all and recently is becoming bloated and the interface is not too easy to understand sometimes. They now added a wide bar at the bottom with options like 'Most visited" and "Apps" which I don't find useful at all. Just waste of space. But thats just my 10 cents.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 17:41

Richlion wrote:
a new version of the Oxygen KDE add-on has been released for Firefox 8

I wish to try it our, how can it be installed? When I scroll down to Oxygen KDE for Firefox and click the page is "under construction".

I think you must be clicking on something different to me. Click on the link I gave earlier. Scroll down to the part of the page that has the title "Oxygen KDE 3.6 for Firefox! , 10 November 2011" and click on the button labelled "Download the latest version!" and you'll be taken to a page titled "Downloading Oxygen KDE 3.6 for Firefox..." with three buttons: "Make a donation!", "Add to Firefox" and "Download the latest version now!". Choose whichever of the three you want.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Richlion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 19:30

Thanks, pretty confusing: Add to Firefox = Add-on.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Return to Software in General