Another Sabayon upgrade mess...

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Another Sabayon upgrade mess...

Postby Sisko43 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:39

So once again in a short while a major upgrade in Sabayon breaks several things in the installation. :(
What have we this time:

- Firefox not working
- Chromium not working
- Libreoffice not working
- XBMC not working
- Gnome 3.2.1 seg-faulting randomly
- Maybe there's more, I wouldn't be surprised.
:shock:

Seriously guys what's going on here. In the last twelve month after a bigger or major update FIVE times important parts of the installation were broken. Now we have the half a dozen full.

Is nobody testing these updates????

The last twelve month reminds me of my beginnings in Linux back in 1997 with SUSE 5.0 and the following years. Those problems were normal. Hello, but now we have 2011!!!

What's the purpose of this automatic magneto/sulfur-thing when nearly every second time something important gets borked. My understanding of an update is that something becomes safer, better more stable and NOT:

"Hey, let's fire up sabayon-forum/google find a solution"

or

"Open a terminal and say hello to "vim" my new girlfriend"

I'm really tired of it.

Therefore I will leave behind Sabayon for a while. Wiped it from my system for more space to my Gentoo Installation.

I was a Sabayon-user since version 4 and will return for sure. Hoping that the glorious days of Sabayon 4 and 5 will come back.

On the startup-page of Sabayon we read:

In Sabayon everything should just work. We offer a bleeding edge operating system that is both stable and reliable.

The present-day says something different.... :(
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Re: Another Sabayon upgrade mess...

Postby genfool » Sat Nov 19, 2011 20:34

genfool,
next time you get a ban.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby Sisko43 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 21:24

genfool wrote:They have all the tools in place, I love the idea of the weekly repos, main, limbo. Great ideas from great people.
The team is excellent, just seems their is no communication or organization.

I think this sums it up very good. A while ago I read a review about Sabayon 6 with this final thoughts:

...One Problem lies with distro developers who do not bother to tie the loose ends together...The pieces are in place, they just need to be tweaked a little bit.

Thanks for your insight and opinions. Hitting the nail on the head.
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Postby genfool » Sat Nov 19, 2011 22:24

Not the nail I am aiming for ... if you get my drift.
You posted your frustrations, they are the same as mine ... I am frustrated. I actually advised a friend yesterday to install gentoo or linux mint I can not offer in good faith to a friend to install sabayon.

As a old grandpa I can not suggest to my kids to install sabayon. at this time..

I use xchat, it works but really sucks in sabayon, they just expect it to work as it would on another distro... fact is it does not.
again with xbmc, sucks here, is the biggest wiener of not wanting to use sabayon, they so busy moving forward, they forgot why they started in the first place.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby greendave8 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14

I have to agree with Genfool. I had problems with the last two "upgrades", mainly involving KDE, however, just as it got fixed, another update came for amarok, vlc and xbmc. None of which now work. I am also starting to lose patience, and just want a reliable system.

At least I know, SABAYON does have great support in the forums, I just wish I was not so dependant on the ability of others....

Hopefully we will get to a more stable updating system soon, like 3.4 etc...

gd8 :cry: :cry:
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby huwie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:24

As much as I love Sabayon, I too was forced to quit earlier this year when a raft of updates completely broke my system. I've just started using Sabayon again recently and today is the first day I've been notified of a huge bunch of updates; the first thing I did was come to the forum to see if there are any warnings. :)

I'll give it a go and report back.
huwie
Young Hen

Postby batvink » Sun Nov 20, 2011 13:51

huwie wrote:As much as I love Sabayon, I too was forced to quit earlier this year when a raft of updates completely broke my system. I've just started using Sabayon again recently and today is the first day I've been notified of a huge bunch of updates; the first thing I did was come to the forum to see if there are any warnings. :)

yes.
I'm doing the same for a while now,
and that's exactly what i would advise to new users.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby batvink » Sun Nov 20, 2011 14:06

I was also allready searching for a more stable system.
Mageia, Toorox, mint-12..... (they're running in virtalbox for testing...)
but hey, everybody makes mistakes. Even Sabayon.
You can say what you want, Sabayon IS a good Linux Distro.
but hopefully the Sabayon develop team learns of their mistakes,
so for now, i stick with Sabayon., and see what it does....
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby huwie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 14:31

Well it took a while but my system was updated smoothly and after rebooting (just to be sure) there don't seem to be any issues at all.

Thanks Sabayon team! :o
huwie
Young Hen

Postby Sisko43 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 15:00

batvink wrote:
huwie wrote:As much as I love Sabayon, I too was forced to quit earlier this year when a raft of updates completely broke my system. I've just started using Sabayon again recently and today is the first day I've been notified of a huge bunch of updates; the first thing I did was come to the forum to see if there are any warnings. :)

yes.
I'm doing the same for a while now,
and that's exactly what i would advise to new users.

Sorry, but that's not enough for a distro that aims to be stable and reliable. I agree with you that Sabayon is a good distro, but nearly not as good as in the past. In the beginning of this year I met four good friends at a wedding. Knowing that I was a long time Linux user they asked what Linux-OS is good to install alongside Windows 7. Of course I recommended Sabayon. Last month I met three of them again. No Sabayon on their system anymore. 2x Linux Mint, 1x OpenSUSE. Asking them what went wrong three similar answers to sum up in one sentence: "It was good, but I don't have the time and nerves, searching at least one time per month for a solution to a problem in the internet.". I can understand them. With my Gentoo-OS I had not a single incident this year. Not counting my own faults when tweaking the installation.
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion