Distrowatch - what are they talking about?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Distrowatch - what are they talking about?

Postby Richlion » Sun Nov 13, 2011 22:00

Hello Guys,
just in the subject of spreading the word on how bad or good Sabayon is I just checked Feature Story by Jesse Smith:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 07#feature

Correct me if I am in any way wrong.

I am just wondering why is it that the article actually show flaws that may not be related to Sabayon?
Let's take this quote for example:
For now though let's focus on the Xfce edition, which is what I decided to download.

Some guy, whoever he is, has a lot of power to write an article about one distro but merely touches the system, doesn't really make a real effort to use the system in various ways for an extended period of time, download and test all version of SL and see what the system is capable of. For example how many features actually work out of the box that don't work on other systems, especially Multimedia with codecs.

And to quote further:
The distribution was able to properly detect all of my hardware on both machines. My Intel wireless card worked with no configuration on my part and sound volume was set to a low, but audible, level on both machines.

Isn't this an issue with the way Xfvce has is set up? Since I use KDE I also have issues with sound and setting up the microphone and it is the most cumbersome thing every time I install SL with KDE. But these are not Sabayon issues, are they? The KDE network applet was always a problem after a fresh install, but now on KDE 4.7.2 this has worked for the first time on my 2 laptops and I don't think any issues were SL related.

And finally:
On the other hand, if you are, like myself, looking for something a little more predictable, a little more boring, then Sabayon probably isn't the right choice.

Who is this guy? What kind of a statement is that? Is that a word of professional?
A site so powerful like distrowatch.com should give us professional opinions, not private feelings.

Sabayon is THE most predictable of distros, that I know because I've been using many distros before and this is exactly why I switched to Sabayon - it IS PREDICTABLE, if I install the system it works straight out of the box and SL has never let me down.

All the main bugs and glitches so far were KDE development feature enhancements, constant migrations and changes from one version of the kernel to another, from one version of KDE to another and that is when any system can become less predictable. So far for the past ..... some 5 years if I had issues with new versions of Sabayon I could predict fixes would arrive in no time. I had other distros, but they've always been a big disappointment, because I would have to spend days and days to 1)find out how the system works, 2)to fix something myself by googling.

As for the recent SL7 we can see Sabayon is constantly improving, Linux has never been so sharp as it is now, both visually and under the bonnet.

Regards,
Richard
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: Distrowatch - what are they talking about?

Postby raman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 23:30

So write this in comments on distrowatch below this guy article. Distrowatch don't have proffesional opinion, this are only private thoughts.
So write some deep, nice article on distro about Sabayon. That's will be nice.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby res0r9lm2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:56

Seem a little lame to complain about volume being low guy would have complained if volume was set 100% too. Even if it came muted its not too complicated to unmute or turn up volume. Everything worked fine for me out of the box with Sabayon 6 xfce4 except for HDMI audio and MCE remote but I don't know of any distro where those work without configuring by hand.
res0r9lm2
Simple Hen

Postby batvink » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55

raman wrote:So write this in comments on distrowatch below this guy article. Distrowatch don't have proffesional opinion, this are only private thoughts.
So write some deep, nice article on distro about Sabayon. That's will be nice.

He could do that, indeed, that sure would be nice.
But on the other hand, it would be no use, or misunderstood.

i've read the article, though.
he's complaining about the Sabayon logo, Entropy store. etc.

Though it doesn't have as many features as some other popular package managers, I found Entropy worked well.

WTF? off cource it works well, but not as many features as others???

While everything worked, I did find boot times and the act of launching applications took an unusually long time on my laptop. Desktop responsiveness when moving windows or clicking menus was fast, as I would expect from the Xfce environment, but launching new programs took several seconds longer than normal (launching Entropy took about 40 seconds, opening a terminal took about five seconds).

i would say: bad hardware, in lousy laptop from his side.
Entropy, and Entropy only, takes about 8 to 12sec. If i point to my terminal, it's there. less than a second. All other programs are starting pretty fast and almost inmidiately.

The package manager, while functional, isn't as mature as similar tools found in Ubuntu or Mandriva.

i begin to believe that HE'S not so mature.

naaaah, let him talk., he don't know what he's talking about.
We know better......
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby cmost » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49

I rarely read desktop reviews anymore. Dollars to donuts they're written by some Windows or Mac weenie who fancies him or herself an enlightened geek. They usually download the target distro, install it in a virtual machine and then after two or three hours they write up an article as if they were a serious expert. I've noticed these dabblers make all sorts of judgments, wrong conclusions, or highly biased arguments that usually serve no other purpose than to help promote their pet distro (which is typically Ubuntu, but that's changing these days.) They'll call out problems with Gnome or KDE and blame the distro. If they have unsupported hardware, you guessed it...it's the distro's fault. These so called journalists are nothing of the kind and they seriously misrepresent themselves as knowledgeable about computers or Linux when in reality they know very little about either. My advice is to simply ignore these types of articles. Trying to set these people straight isn't worth the time or trouble.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37

cmost wrote:I rarely read desktop reviews anymore. Dollars to donuts they're written by some Windows or Mac weenie who fancies him or herself an enlightened geek. They usually download the target distro, install it in a virtual machine and then after two or three hours they write up an article as if they were a serious expert. I've noticed these dabblers make all sorts of judgments, wrong conclusions, or highly biased arguments that usually serve no other purpose than to help promote their pet distro (which is typically Ubuntu, but that's changing these days.) They'll call out problems with Gnome or KDE and blame the distro. If they have unsupported hardware, you guessed it...it's the distro's fault. These so called journalists are nothing of the kind and they seriously misrepresent themselves as knowledgeable about computers or Linux when in reality they know very little about either. My advice is to simply ignore these types of articles. Trying to set these people straight isn't worth the time or trouble.

Pretty much and besides, it's distrowatch, can't expect much. I don't understand why people bother looking at that site still.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Richlion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 23:50

It was actually the first time I really took a good look at what was written there, just out of curiosity.
Normally I don't have to read anything on distrowatch because I already know what' good for me - Sabayon and nothing else.
At least now I know they're like motor car journalists doing a 10 minute test drive, then lots of rubbish thrown onto paper while drinking a couple of pints in a pub for people to read who are unaware how things really work.
Thanks for your comments :D I liked them.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby supergoo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:48

I have no clue what Distrowatch is talking about. I changed to Sabayon, after using Ubuntu, Fedora, and Opensuse along with alot of the alterative ones to boot ( ie: Kubuntu,Mint,Pinguy,Crunchbang,Debian just to hit a few) I find Sabayon rock stable, fast , up to date and has a excellent package list for programs. I have had zero trouble, and its a Rolling release too boot. I can not find anything to complain about. I have never been able to say that about ANY Linux distros I have used before.

For me Sabayon is perfect
supergoo
Baby Hen

Postby sqlpython » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:53

I don't understand why people bother looking at that site still.

RIght the reviews are useless.
Why I do look at the site is that it is one stop to get a list of latest Updated releases and associated Serious Reviews..

Other then that... I dunno..
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion