HP 8250 Prints garbage pages at end of successful print job

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

HP 8250 Prints garbage pages at end of successful print job

Postby jimdscott » Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:32

Hi, all --

I'm new to Sabayon, migrating over from Mint in the last couple of weeks. I have an HP Photosmart 8250 which is giving me some trouble. Typically, my first print job is successful, but any subsequent print jobs are very distorted. Usually I can make out some words in the output, but the pages are generally filled with black lines which look a bit like television static. If I power cycle the printer, I can print again.

Any idea what might be causing this? This is a USB printer using the gutenprint driver:
HP PhotoSmart 7550 Foomatic/gutenprint-ijs.5.2 (color, 2-sided printing)

System is Sabayon 7, fresh install, with all current updates. Thanks for any suggestions.
Baby Hen

Re: HP 8250 Prints garbage pages at end of successful print

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:06

I don't have your printer model, so can only make suggestions. Why are you using a driver for the HP PhotoSmart 7550 if your model is an HP PhotoSmart 8250 printer? Is there no HP PhotoSmart 8250 driver? Perhaps the HP 8200 driver would work better than the HP 7550 driver? Also, do you have the hplip package installed in addition to the foomatic and gutenprint packages? You ought to install them all to see if there is a better driver:

I use several different models of HP printer at work, and have had trouble with the non-Postscript drivers (even if the driver is for that specific model of printer). If there are two driver versions for a particular printer model, one non-Postscript and the other Postscript, I have found that the Postscript version generally works correctly whereas the non-Postscript version doesn't work properly (at least in the case of the HP models I have to use at work). Therefore, if there is a Postscript driver version for your model, or for a model in the same ballpark (8200 or whatever), then try that to see if it works better.
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware