Entropy offered to remove libnl-1.1 now no network! [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Entropy offered to remove libnl-1.1 now no network! [Solved]

Postby cmost » Sat Nov 05, 2011 18:15

I'm using Sabayon KDE 7, fully up-to-date. I was doing my usual weekly updates yesterday (equo update && equo upgrade) when Entropy helpfully informed me of an unneeded package libnl-1.1-r2 and offered to remove it. Stupidly I agreed and two packages were ultimately removed; as the text scrolled by, I only noticed it had something to do with networking. When I rebooted the computer I find that I now have no detected network devices. Moreover, network manager reports no network interfaces. Now what can I do? I'm typing this on my work computer! I cannot access the Internet at all so I cannot easily re-install libnl-1.1-r2 using the package manager. I'm really hoping someone can enlighten me as to how I can fix this. Any ideas? Thank you!
Last edited by cmost on Sun Nov 06, 2011 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Re: Entropy offered to remove libnl-1.1-r2, now no network!

Postby raman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 20:22

Try:
Code: Select all
#dhcpcd

It's working?
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby cmost » Sun Nov 06, 2011 15:42

Thanks for the response. I managed to get a network connection by issuing this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/net.eth2 restart

This unfortunately doesn't stick upon a reboot and I have to re-issue the command.

Meanwhile, NetworkManager seems to be completely borked. It displays a red warning icon and gives the following error message in its tool tip:

No Network Interfaces

I'm not sure how this happened. What I'd like to do is either fix NetworkManager, or remove it, replace it with a better alternative, or not use a network manager at all and simply configure my network devices manually and figure out how to keep my network connections active after a reboot.

Any suggestions?
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Nov 06, 2011 16:04

equo install libnl

See if it is re-installed and fixes the problem.
equo deptest && equo libtest

just to be sure.
I also saw same issue on irc #sabayon, wanted to remove same version that was installed. Although in this case it was suggested to manually remove the package, do not think it should be in the list.
I am thinking this may be worthy of a bug report.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby cmost » Sun Nov 06, 2011 17:45

@ genfool

Thanks! That fixed it! I always forget about the deptest and libtest commands! :-) Sabayon is the best distro because it's one of the easiest to fix if something goes wrong. Marking this post as solved!
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
cmost
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion