Why I am switching to Sabayon

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Why I am switching to Sabayon

Postby rootless » Mon Nov 23, 2009 13:51

I spent a long time thinking about how Gentoo needed a GUI installer. It would be the perfect tool to build tools, the ultimate hack, if only it was easier to copy.

I've been a *nix user for a couple years now. I struggled for ages with Ubuntu, trying to get it to do what I wanted. I suppose it was a good first distro- but I got sick of it... the Ubuntu universe is one in which you need to struggle to get behind the nice pretty gui, to actually mess with the machine. The .rpm is even worse than the .deb, IMHO. Our distros appear a little more like windows every day. Slackware seemed to be sort of what I wanted, but would leave me without package management, which is simply unacceptable these days, for security reasons, and dependency hell.

That left me to try Arch. Their hypothetical 15000 packages started to seem a lot fewer after I had to build most of mine because they weren't in the repos. I started to give up hope that I would ever be able to escape the enormous pull of the Debian universe.

I really liked Gentoo, but I simply didn't have the time to install it again. I thought about reviving the dead Gentoo GUI installer- or even writing my own install script from scratch! In my eyes, it was a tragedy that such a brilliant tool to build tools lacked the ability to easily build itself.

Then one day I came across a distribution called Sabayon. Weird. I'd never heard of it. As I read more, I became excited- it sounded exactly like some of the ideas I was tossing around! I can't believe I didn't hear about Sabayon earlier. I would have switched years ago.

I'm really excited. I think Sabayon could be what I've been looking for. A new main distro, for BUILDING, and compiling ^__^ , a distro that will work WITH me instead of against me. I know it looks like a small community, but I don't think that bothers me. I really have a lot of respect for the fact that Sabayon is one of the few popular distros out there that survives without support from a major organization.

As of this moment, I am 100% in support of Sabayon.
Never sleep. Live in terminal. Think in code.

(-o___o-)

SABAYON. USE IT.
rootless
Baby Hen

Re: Why I am switching to Sabayon

Postby Panuzio » Mon Nov 23, 2009 14:39

Rootless, I appreciate very much your story, your way. I must tell you that we have very similar ideas about Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, and so on. :cheers: :bounce:
Nice to meet you (I'm Italian). :alien:
:bball:
Francesco
Ride of Sabayon (Mania) penguins
Gnome is dead!
Gnome 2 forever!

Linux portatile 4.4.0-sabayon #1 SMP Sat May 14 18:04:56 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Panuzio
Growing Hen

Location: Firenze, Toscana, Italia (Florence, Tuscany, Italy)

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 15:14

Welcome! If yopu are looking to build your stuff then you need to be careful about mixing libaries etc if you are using entropy as well.

To recompile packages you use a comminity repo, which is what I reccomend. HOWTO: Set Up A Community Repository
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby rootless » Tue Nov 24, 2009 0:42

Thev00d00 wrote:Welcome! If yopu are looking to build your stuff then you need to be careful about mixing libaries etc if you are using entropy as well.

To recompile packages you use a comminity repo, which is what I reccomend. HOWTO: Set Up A Community Repository

Yes, I was just in the process of discovering this little bump in the road. No worries- I'll throw myself at it and see if I can't figure it out.
Never sleep. Live in terminal. Think in code.

(-o___o-)

SABAYON. USE IT.
rootless
Baby Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31

Same here, was a Zenwalk user back in the 2005's days, eventually I took up Fedora (didn't suited my purposes and just hated yum). One day I found Sabayon looking hearing about a distro based on Gentoo, source-based, totally repairable, optimum performance, best kernel around, etc. ( I was really fond of Gentoo, but didn't have the guts to bring it on my PC), so I staid with Sabayon ever since :D. It's the most suitable distro for me, I neither have the time to be Gentoo-ish, nor I need no complications in customizing my Linux, so Sabayon suits me the best, also :>
Welcome in Sabayon ! :D
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby raman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:23

The same too, pissed by Ubuntu, dissapointed by Arch, desperate by Mandriva, etc, etc. For me Sabayon is elastic and friendly.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby Richlion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:42

As rootless pointed it out well, we've all been there, Mandriva ( i've neve touched Ubuntu in my life), etc. etc.
Sabayon is for those who need a system that's for using, not constant tweaking. It may not be as fast as an own built and recompiled Gentoo, but it's comes with all you need, especially all media support, codecs for example. It was the core reason why I switched to SL a long time ago and never regretted a moment. Also the package manager/installer is so brilliant and simple to use, it takes off the whole burden of system updates and software installations - with few clicks and all is done. It is exaclty that we need and our Sabayon developers know that. A BIG THANKS :) .

Sabayon is a system that shows what's expected of an operating system and it should be the standard. I've been a UNIX user almost all my life since the 80's, but does that mean I need to be a computer guru when I come home? That's what many distros expect from us and that's when Sabayon comes to our rescue.

Best regards to all newcomers,
Richlion
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby sqlpython » Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:42

Yep, I will drink to that..........

I too am a *nix user since 1995 but unlike some I can't get it down to just One Distro...
I like Sabayon, Debian, Slackware, BSD, and I just dumped Kubuntu for CentOS 6.
Kubuntu (after 5 years of Use) had issues that were just getting too Annoying.........
But for me it is a Hobby that is a Tool. As such I will contribute Code to various distros.
Because it is so good (self implementing) Out Of the Box Distrowatch singularly catogorizes Sabayon as (For Beginners) which is way off the mark. Sabayon is equally valuable to Intermediate and Advanced users.

Anyway, rootless hasn't posted in 2 years. Either all is working perfectly Or he has moved on...........
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby BlackNoxis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 20:09

sqlpython wrote:Yep, I will drink to that..........

I too am a *nix user since 1995 but unlike some I can't get it down to just One Distro...
I like Sabayon, Debian, Slackware, BSD, and I just dumped Kubuntu for CentOS 6.
Kubuntu (after 5 years of Use) had issues that were just getting too Annoying.........
But for me it is a Hobby that is a Tool. As such I will contribute Code to various distros.
Because it is so good (self implementing) Out Of the Box Distrowatch singularly catogorizes Sabayon as (For Beginners) which is way off the mark. Sabayon is equally valuable to Intermediate and Advanced users.

Anyway, rootless hasn't posted in 2 years. Either all is working perfectly Or he has moved on...........

Or I've replied to late, hehehe
BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Postby sqlpython » Thu Oct 27, 2011 23:05

Or I've replied to late, hehehe

:lol:
No, you missed my point...
Regardless, that this is an old revived thread (we realize that)...... rootless has not been active in 2 years.
So .. :)
Late or not... Rootless are you out there?
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion