Battery issues [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

tpprynn
Baby Hen

Battery issues [Solved]

Post by tpprynn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33

I deleted a now unnecessary Newbies post but I do have this issue outstanding:

When using battery power rather than AC adaptor Sabayon 7 64 bit slows down greatly - seems and sounds like the disk spins down constantly so that it seems to need to wake up every time I try to do the slightest thing like open a menu in AbiWord.

I have lost about forty minutes battery time with Sabayon also, if anything can be done about that?

Maybe this is an issue with the new kernel or with Gnome 3.2*** or maybe it's Sabayon 7 but I thought I'd ask here first.

Toshiba Equium L40 17M (mostly similar to the Satellite L40 I think), 1.6 ghz dual core, Intel 965, 500gb, 3gb

***I have found that the lag issue exists when using Fluxbox so probably Gnome 3.2 isn't the weak link.
Last edited by tpprynn on Wed Oct 19, 2011 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Battery issues

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:42

Have a look at the Gentoo Forums thread Drive Life?.

tpprynn
Baby Hen

Re: Battery issues

Post by tpprynn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 15:03

Great, unless I'm imagining it this extra program seems to have solved this - the laptop tools and default settings. The disk is not spinning down every few seconds. More than I had noticed it with Ubuntu maybe, but it's no longer an annoyance (and in the vein of the link I did end up with one disk getting bad sectors while using Ubuntu so things may now be ideal).

Thanks for your thorough input with my two issues.