no sound after kde 4.7.2 upgrade

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby sedo_5 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57

Hi everyone.
After the aupgrade from kde 4.7.1 to 4.7.2 it happened a strange thing: now there is no sound.
Kmix and alsamixer are ok, general multimedia settnigs are ok.
If I perform
Code: Select all
 # alsaconf

no driver is found!
What may have caused this problem? where can i search for further information(system files)?

I run sabayon kde on Dell xps15 laptop.

By the way: I remember that after the upgrade, Sulfur suggested me to uninstall a package from "media/" packages, maybe something that contained the word "phonon"...where can I look for an history of all the inst/uninst pckges in order to detect it and see if it may have caused my problem?

Thanks you all in advance.

Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby sedo_5 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46

Hi everyone.
After the aupgrade from kde 4.7.1 to 4.7.2 it happened a strange thing: now there is no sound.
Kmix and alsamixer are ok, general multimedia settings are ok.
If I perform
 # alsaconf

no driver is found!
What may have caused this problem? where can i search for further information(system files)?

I run sabayon kde on Dell xps15 laptop.

By the way: I remember that after the upgrade, Sulfur suggested me to uninstall a package from "media/" packages, maybe something that contained the word "phonon"...where can I look for an history of all the inst/uninst pckges in order to detect it and see if it may have caused my problem?

Thanks you all in advance.
Hope someone can help me, since it's a really bad problem for me (no audio at all)! :(
Renzo

PS: for the moderators, I was sure I created the original post in Hardware section but I found it in WM section, then I thought it was my mistake (I was barely awake :) )and so deleted the old post to move it here in Hardware again...If instead it was moved by you, sorry, I wasn't told, and of course feel free to move it again (telling me so) :)
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Re: no sound after kde 4.7.2 upgrade

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:50

Topics merged, please do not make more than one topic on same thing
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Sisko43 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 15:31

When pulseaudio is activated, it's normal that alsaconf doesn't find any driver. The error is somewhere else.

Check that nothing is muted accidentally.

start

alsamixer

in a terminal and take a look at the volume-settings in the separate channels.

For the phonon-thing simply install all relevant phonon-backends by executing as root in terminal:

equo install phonon-vlc phonon-xine phonon-gstreamer

Reboot

Then go to "Systemsettings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -> Backend" and test your sound with the three available backends.

Generally it's useful when using pulsaudio that kmix is setup properly. Go to "Settings" under kmix and select "Configure kmix" and uncheck the option "Restore volumes on login".
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Postby sedo_5 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 21:20

Thank you, but it didn't help at all...
These are usual procedures that I've already checked (again just before writing this answer). The only think it changed is that now I have gstreamer backend (hadn't intalled before), but none of the three backends work until now.
Quite strange is that nothing is audible, except for the system sounds (to be precise, the only system sounds i've been able to listen to are the "close session" theme and the "left-right speaker" voice in the backend configuration window...)

I think that something went wrong and broke down after upgrade, for sure...
Can you please help me? :(

Bye
Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 18, 2011 21:27

Have you gone into the PulseAudio Volume Control panel and check the settings there?

If not installed - equo install pavucontrol

I find that is the easiest tool for setting up sound/mic for applications/hardware
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sedo_5 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:01

Of course I did!!
I start to thinnk that some driver has been accidentally deleted...maybe a history list of equo would be clarifying.
The strange thing is always the same: I can listen system sounds, also when changing settings on pavucontrol or as described in my last post....
Could it be a kde problem itself?
I'm really confused...and without music :(

Bye
Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby Sisko43 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04

Maybe you have two possible audio devices? When I select kmix -> Mixer, I have two devices for playback:

1: Internal Analog Audio Stereo
2: GF104 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo/7.1 (HDMI)

Option one must be selected for a full working audio environment in my system. After last KDE-Update option two was selected automatically. Had to deactivate second device again through pavucontrol...
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Postby sedo_5 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 16:03

Yes, this is exactly my situation every time I upgrade something regarding media.
I have two sound devices: HDA Intel and Nvidia (hdmi port), and the first one is named Internal Analog Audio Stereo as in your case.
Of course I paid attenction to this change this time too. But this time I wasn't able to restore the settings...or to be more precise, I double-checked every setting and everything is now fine, but still no audio from my laptop (besides of the system sounds, as I said before).

Thanks
Renzo
sedo_5
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 16:16

You can force one of the two sound devices to be the default sound device in ALSA - see Default soundcard [Solved].
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers