Sabayon 7 gnome first update breaks the system

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 7 gnome first update breaks the system

Postby Codalunga » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28

Right after the update the close - minimize - maximize buttons in chromium turned into red squares. Backwards and forwards were red crosses on a white paper (don't know if you get me). Then I rebooted and the login manager was quite different, it looked like something was missing. After the login there was just a blue background, without shell. Icons on the desktop were just blank paper. That's it.
Codalunga
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:32

try to force the gdk-pixbuf update:
(as root)
Code: Select all
equo install gdk-pixbuf

as genfool suggested in this thread.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Codalunga » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04

Right now I don't have the problem. After a fresh install no new updates were available, so I thought you removed the update. Is there a problem with my entropy? :?
Codalunga
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:10

if there is nothing to fix, there is nothing to be worried about, probably you installed a different Sabayon version, without knowing exactly what you did, it is hard to know if there is something wrong.

Personally I don't see anything wrong about not having any updates on Sabayon 7, a version that has been released just a few days ago.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Codalunga » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:07

Maybe you didn't get the point: I installed sabayon like two days ago. Everything worked out of the box and I really appreciate your job :D There was an update available, and after that one gnome didn't work perfectly. So I decided to install sabayon again, yesterday, with the same dvd. After the installation and the repository configuration, there was no update available. So I thought someone removed that update since I see I'm not the only one with that problem :D
Codalunga
Baby Hen

Postby kamilnadeem » Sat Oct 15, 2011 16:28

By "Gnome Breaks" I guess he means that the whole interface vanishes. No top panel, no thing works. only icons remains on an ugly blue background. I had to right click>select background , then jump around to find fallback mode. then log out then the fallback mode is also broken and blotchy.
but it is not happening now. I did a 4th install of sabayon 7 right now it updated and there are no updates now.
kamilnadeem
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 22:22

kamilnadeem, did this worked for you?

micia wrote:try to force the gdk-pixbuf update:
(as root)
Code: Select all
equo install gdk-pixbuf

as genfool suggested in this thread.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby rdkone » Sat Oct 15, 2011 23:25

I'm running KDE sabayon 7 and last update (gtk) broke my ability to run gtkrellm and sulfurs icons were messed up.
Running the mentioned
equo install gdk-pixbuf
fixed both issues, thanks...
rdkone
Baby Hen

Postby kamilnadeem » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50

@micia as I said earlier that when I installed sabayon for the 3rd time and again for the 4th time there was no updates. So nothing to fix on Gnome 3.2.
kamilnadeem
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 14:18

I am not suggesting you any upgrade, my post was in reply to:
I had to right click>select background , then jump around to find fallback mode. then log out then the fallback mode is also broken and blotchy.

Even if you have no updates, if you face that issue (not implying that you are currently facing it), force the installation of that package, even if it is not reported by entropy as an update.

My question was just to verify if, when you actually had those issues, you tried that solution and if it worked for you or not.
micia
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers