Weird Gnome3 problem

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Weird Gnome3 problem

Postby korvinus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13

Well i came across this earlier today and really don't get what is going on..

The problem is if i go to the system settings in the User menu at the top right of the screen and click it i get nothing at all. I thought this was a problem with the actual "system-settings" so I thought I'd look at running it from the overlay applications. It was fine, actually it works from everywhere bar the user menu..

I thought it could be down to the theme, so i disabled all the extensions, restarted gnome to be sure they were all clear, yet still nothing.

Just thought I'd post here about it incase anyone else has seen this happen. It causes no ill effect to the system at all and everything else works as normal, it's just kind of an irritating bug lol.
korvinus
Baby Hen

Re: Weird Gnome3 problem

Postby genfool » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19

is a weird error, Have no clue at this point with no logs.
My first step would be to run in a root terminal
Code: Select all
equo deptest && equo libtest

This will simply pull in any missing deps or libraries, while you are in the terminal, run
equo conf update

just in case... it will either report that all is fine or ask you to make a choice.
cd to your home directory, and use pastebunz or pastebin to post your xsessions-errors file ... may be a clue in there.
genfool
Technological Hen

Re: Weird Gnome3 problem

Postby korvinus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:36

Well running both those commands yielded nothing much other than to be told everything was fine :P

I did check the xessions-errors and while i had it open i tryed the menu entry to open system-settings and something caught my eye

** (nautilus:12422): WARNING **: (null)
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-plugin"

(gnome-shell:7215): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-arrow-border-color'

(gnome-shell:7215): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-arrow-background-color'

(gnome-shell:7215): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-arrow-border-color'

(gnome-shell:7215): St-WARNING **: Did not find color property '-arrow-background-color'
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception in callback for signal: activate
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"app is null"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '627'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"([object Object],[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/userMenu.js:627
_emit("activate",[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/signals.js:124
([object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/popupMenu.js:108
([object _private_Shell_GenericContainer],[object _private_Clutter_Event])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/popupMenu.js:81
"'

So I'm guessing that one of the extensions or possibly one of the themes i tried changed the .js files and thats causing the problem. I don't have time to look at it today, but over the weekend I'll see if i can figure out what actually caused it.
korvinus
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers